6-7 inch VATF: Would you chance it with Rays Yet?

WhispersinMyHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
In my Head
Got a 6-7 inch VATF and been wanting to add him with my rays in the large tank but have been hesitant. Do you think he will be OK or should I wait until he is larger? Biggest rays are10.5" m/f Marbles and 3 smaller Blackies.

Couple of pics of the VATF

VATF 6inch(1).JPG

VATF 6inch(2).JPG

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
I am on the same page as u i picked up a Goliath and i am going to try. Is urs on feeders? I am gonna get him on frozen before i try.

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
I have seen count less pictures of tiger fish and rays. In my opinon is if the tiger fish thinks it can eat it, it will but rays specially around the 10inch mArk are way to big for him to think it's dinner. The tiger fish is really fast he will be hard to catch by the rays I am gonna try I'n 2 weeks to time I'll post when i do I'n ur thread

WhispersinMyHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
In my Head
They aren't always fast enough:) When this guy was 3-4 inches my 5" Leo had him pinned under her in the QT. Luckily I had just came down and looked in and could see something sticking out from under her. I looked around and didn't see the VATF and realized it was him. So I reached in and nudged her, she relaxed and out he shot. Minor damage and quite a bit more attentive to his surroundings.

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
ya i have lost big fish to rays imo they need to be big enough not to be pinned or there a gonner the ray will kill it for sure

cheon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
canada
Naw not the Afican tiger the goliath suppose to get pretty big. But the Afican will get pretty big i imagine.

WhispersinMyHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
In my Head
VATFs get appx 3 feet in the wild but I have yet to see one in captivity over 18" The GATFs supposedly reach 5-6 feet in wild. I prefer the Vittatus as it develops better coloring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store