Whats your Arowanas Attitude?

Kimosobey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2011
Tehachapi, CA
I looked for a tread. So explain the character of your arowana. Some have different personalitys then others. My Silver arow is very skiddish. He's only 4 maybe 5 inches and i want him to get used to tank mates(moving into a 225 gallon in a month) and have 6 inch oscar really mellow(who dosnt bother him) and 3 spotted catfishes all 6-7 inches each and their all in a 150 gallon. Maybe when hes the monster of the tank he'll relize he can come out of the closet. If a fish swims below him he jumps and when the catfishes and Oscar eat he stays back:irked: so i feed him in the corner. So whats your Arowans character?

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
hi kimosobey.. first things first.. get your arowana out of there.. arowana are generally skiddish.. 4" or 30".. small arowana are best left alone in their own tanks until they can not be harassed by other fish.. reintroduce your aro with the rest of the fish when it is more than 8". you might as well move the rest of the fish to the 225 G and leave the aro in the 150 G for a bit..

about arowana(silver) character they are easily freaked out unless it is a large tank.. if you are thinking they will be super mean then prob 1 in 100 might.. but really you can't determine the attitude in total.. each fish has its own attitude.. i have 4 silvers all above 22" and i thought they'd dominate in the pond but they steer clear from my Pacu.. they are smaller about 12".. but they swim fast and this bothers the aros..

anyways.. all the best.. cheers..

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Definitely heed Kaya's advice about your small arowana. As for attitude well with mine that just depends on how hungry they are. Mine showed a very large drop in skittish behavior once moved from a 180g to a 450g. Proper sized tank will make alot of difference.

Sidrock

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Bombay, India
x2 to the advice frm Kaya and Brian. Even if you choose to ignore their advice and keep your little aro with tankmates, cichlids like Oscars are the worst possible choice.

As for my Silver Aro's attitude: Extremely calm and docile... Has very rarely nipped at tank-mates... The pic below is from when he was about 12" long.. Even the tank mates in that picture didn't have any problems from the Aro.

qRoiS.jpg

qRoiS.jpg

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
Hi, my aro is currently 10 inches with tankmates. Easy going, doesn't bother the others and has a good appetite.

Kimosobey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2011
Tehachapi, CA
Okay I'm taking the advise ill do a nitrate test first thing in the morning then if everything is a okay then he gets the whole 225 gallon to him self it has been cycling for 20 days so far. I just want a simi aggressive community tank with the arowana being the spot light of the whole tank. Sounds like you all have some friendly Arows! And sidrock that picture is now my background of you don't mind. Awesome shot

RuthlessAggression

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Toronto
I have an RTG thats usually calm and peaceful but is aggressive during feeding time and has been the only fish in the tank for a long time. It would most likely be aggressive towards other fish smaller then it because its been alone without tank mates all its life. Don't really plan on adding anything with it either since it already produces a lot of waste and Its already a show fish in itself.

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
Okay I'm taking the advise ill do a nitrate test first thing in the morning then if everything is a okay then he gets the whole 225 gallon to him self it has been cycling for 20 days so far. I just want a simi aggressive community tank with the arowana being the spot light of the whole tank. Sounds like you all have some friendly Arows! And sidrock that picture is now my background of you don't mind. Awesome shot
good call mate.. the 225G might be too big for a 4" aro atm.. but its ok.. what are you feeding the aro now?

Kimosobey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2011
Tehachapi, CA
Right now his diet consist of These pellets i break them in half for him. Also little chunks of brine shrimp. And maybe every other day he gets cut up prawns that are really small chunks. The only fish i think i have to keep with him in the 225G is a bumble bee catfish fully grown at 3 1/2 inches and rarely comes out during the day if thats fine. Also like to add when i got him only one they had, its fins were cut/sliced as you can see in the pic. Will that ever heal?

im not good at resizing:irked:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/ilysammi88/fosh001.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/ilysammi88/fosh002-1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store