How long for a filter to adapt?

NEistingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
UK
Does anyone know how long it takes for a filter to adapt so it can handle the increased bio load of a ray? Just getting really worried that mine isn't coping after dealing with a moderate stock?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
let the tank completely cycle when your water params are normal then it is ready

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
What about when you clean a filter, i have 2x fx5 and 1x eheim 2080, looking to clean them all one by one, how long should i wait between cleaning the first til second? (sry if i hijack the thread)

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
What about when you clean a filter, i have 2x fx5 and 1x eheim 2080, looking to clean them all one by one, how long should i wait between cleaning the first til second? (sry if i hijack the thread)
As long as you only clean them using old tank water then I would only leave a week between cleans but as always let a test kit tell you the water is fine and test regularly for a week or so to make sure all is fine. If changing out media then I would leave a little longer maybe but on a mature system you can get away with a lot. You can always reduce feeding a bit and do some extra water changes.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Change water every 3-4 days 50%, the filters have bin up and running for over a year, the 550g pond they are inn have bin up for 4 months. Did not use old tank water as the filter is pretty big + it was pretty messy. Test kits i have plenty off, but as we all know, mini cycle are hard to predict. Gues il wait around 2 weeks just to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store