Stingray Permit in Florida???

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Hey guys I know this can be a bit of a touchy thing but I recently moved down to Florida from NJ. I had to leave my Rays in NJ in a friends care. I have called Florida fish and wildlife and I was told that they are not allowed at all as pets unless i was going to be keeping one of the native mid atlantic rays. I have however heard through the grapevine that people have managed to get there hands on permits that allow for them to keep rays and I am not talking about the permits that allow for temporary holding for distribution like a wholesaler would get. I do not know if this is 100% true but it is something that I have heard repeatedly since I have been asking around about it. I am desperate to get my fish hear but I dont want to do it Illegaly so ANY AND ALL help would be greatly appreciated!

NEistingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2011
UK
Not encouraging anything here but just wondering what are the chances of you being caught with an illegal fish? I can understand if you plastered it all over the internet or something but if you kept it to yourself? When you go between states do you get checked or anything?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
as neistingray not as his real name

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Don't think for a minute that law enforcement can't find out your address from your ISP using your Ip address.

I feel for you man I couldn't imagine not being able to keep rays :(

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Permits if FL are never issues to private owners under any circumstances.

They have been granted to facilities importing and exporting them and educational display (zoo/aquarium). Even those are a pain to get.

And as posted, it's very easy to get caught with them, so please don't try. It's not worth it. You lose the animals and end up looking at some heavy fines and sitting in a court room for awhile. Not worth getting a criminal record for.

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the reply's guys. I would have tried to just bring them but I am working for a fish distributor down hear and they know I know the rules. My employers could not tell me much in the way of private permits but they assured me it was hell for them to get one for distribution. This is really terrible I really thought I heard of people getting through some loop holes perhaps but maybe that was just speculative talk.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
if your working for a distributer put it in their tanks or ponds as a display thing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store