$200 for an XP3!

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
A LPS has a new section opened up devoted to fish. I went in to check it out. Nice selection of your average fish, special order "oddballs." Tons of hard goods.

I was excited because they sell XP's and their media. Figured I wouldn't have to mail order supplies anymore. Then I saw the prices...

$200 for XP3, $150 XP2, $112 XP1
$15 replacement carbon pouch (pack of 1)
$15 replacement foam
$15 three pack micro filtration pad

Truth be told I have no problem paying 10% to 20% (if I really need it) above net prices in a store just to "get it now", but those prices are insane! A Penguin Bio-Wheel is $60 ON SALE!:nilly:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Wow. I would print some competitors prices and just ask them if they're serious.

That's nuts. I wouldnt give more than $50 for an XP3 :ROFL:

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
They are serious. The only other place that sells fish supplies wants $75 for a 250 Bio-Wheel and doesn't even sell Rena Filstar products. Every fish store with-in two hours drive has prices like that. I bought a replacement 200 watt Ebo Jager heater (emergency) for $45 from a LPS before, only because even the "cheap" heaters are still $30!

This is why 90% of my money spent on fish and related supplies goes to places on-line.

No wonder there aren't a lot of fishkeepers in my area!

justin

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
FL
u could maybe possibly get it cheaper on ebay, but I doubt it after bidding and shipping and handeling that those people rob from you. Beside if u get it at dr foster smith it is guaranteed in good shape or replaced for free or get your money back which ever you want.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Believe me, no way would I buy an XP for over $100!

I purchase almost all my supplies from Dr.'s Foster and Smith. I'm hoping to get another XP3 to put on the 75 before Christmas.

I wonder if the store owners in my area just buy from Dr.'s Foster and Smith or Big Al's and then just double the price and put the merchandise in their stores.

No wonder most of the hard goods in the stores around here have a layer of dust on them!

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Why are all you guys complainig try being in the UK for things like that lol, a 50w heater is £16.99 (aprox $34.98) now thats high lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store