Wild Caught or Captive breed Stingrays?

Extassi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
Machesney Park, IL
Just wanted to get everyone opinions on this subject? Giving the same quality of two Marble Stingray for example. Would you prefer to have a wild caught one or a captive breed one?

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Captive bred, no question. So much easier to acclimate and unless housed with WC rays, much less concern of parasites.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
yup captive bred are ideal. Much hardier especially if born in your local water. Also why take a wild specimen if not really needed? I always enjoyed wc cichlids bc u get good color and healthy f1 fry. But stingrays i would sooner take captive bred

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I would have to agree with the last 3 post captive bred is much easier to acclimate then a wild caught one...

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I own both and am open to both. If size was not an issue then I would do cb but if you are qt'ing and putting in with larger rays then you might have to consider a larger wc. When I get more rays they will be wc because I will want them around the 12" range.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i would say captive bred are better but with so many dam hybrids around now it wont be long before the only way of getting a pure blood ray will be to get a wild caught one

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
captive 4sure. it takes the gamble out of it as long as its from a reputable breeder

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store