Where can I get a gar?

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I live in Kansas and have been attempting to get a gar with no luck. I can't find one formsale online or at any stores. I have thrown my casting net a bunch of times and haven't managed to get one either. I would prefer a spotted gar, but would take a longnose or shortnose. Thanks for your help.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm guessing that this is going to be your first gar, so your best bet is to get a Florida gar rather than a spotted gar since they're much easier to come by, are the cheapest gars to purchase, and look almost exactly like a spotted gar to someone who is not an expert on identifying gars (which is exactly why Florida gars are sometimes sold as "spotted gars" or "Florida spotted gars"). You'll need to have at least a 180 gallon aquarium in order to adequately house a Florida gar for life, but you should grow it out following the step-up system (gradually increase the aquarium size rather than place a small gar in a large aquarium). Every other species of gar will have at least the same space requirements, if not more. Alligator gars and longnose gars will definitely need a larger aquarium; Cuban gars and tropical gars might need a larger aquarium depending on their growth rate; spotted gars and shortnose gars have similar space requirements to the Florida gar.

As for acquiring one, I'd say that you should find one in no time just by posting a thread in the MFK Marketplace or by contacting certain vendors that regularly have them available.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
To echo what Ryan said -- there are several florida gars for sale right now in the market place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store