Flowers..... I thought they are fast growing-----

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I am confused, when i was getting my flower 1-1/2 years ago, i got a male because i have heard, get ready they get 40" + like tigers. So i thought get a male, they dont get as big..

i got my flower in January '10 at 6.5" he is 10" now. i have heard from shadow (DON) AND FISHDOG (MIKE) that there seem to be growing slow. i have a leo that is about the same age that has outgrown him, heck i think my hystrix are outgrowing him.

what gives??? Mine eats everything thrown in the tank...

I would expect to see some growing of the claspers cause he has to be over 2 years old...but nothing.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I wish, these things are the slowest growing rays I own. Gonna have to up their food intake to twice a day. I got them about 1 1/2 years ago at barely 6" and I bet they are barely over 7" now.

I know the feeling, my new black pups born this winter are already approaching my females size and she is the appx age of yours. Although my female is pushing 8- 9"

:nilly:

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
I seem to have the same problem...my hystrix only grows 2-3 inches in the last year and a half, he eats everything under the sun, I feed him 1-2 times a day. He's been with 3 sets of black pups and they all have outgrew him LOL..

Maybe it's the smelt :) hahah LMAOL

Stan

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I seem to have the same problem...my hystrix only grows 2-3 inches in the last year and a half, he eats everything under the sun, I feed him 1-2 times a day. He's been with 3 sets of black pups and they all have outgrew him LOL..

Maybe it's the smelt :) hahah LMAOL

Stan

maybe hystrix and flowers have the same growth rate...LOL
if this is true, i want to get a whole bouquet of flowers!!

My flower eats, pellets (mostly), smelt, shrimp, and occasional worms.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Send me some black rays and I will send you some flowers LOL! Do you have the same problem as Don and I where they just stay thin all the time. It seems if you skip one feeding they are too skinny even if you just stuffed them full the day before. I am gonna switch to isolating them and feeding them twice a day. Must be a super high metabolism yet a super slow growth rate.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
My largest henlei used to do that...I can get him stuffed with a hump on his back one day and he'll show a tiny bones in 2 days.

I just kept on doing it for a few months straight (feeding 1-2 times a day) and after about 3-4 months, his "fatness" stays longer. We went out of town for a week, and I didn't tell the house sitter to feed at all and he never shows any pelvoc bone after a week of no feeding..

The only thing I can come up with, is high metabolism in one part since he's the most active ray in the 600 gal. The powerfeeding that I did for a few months was to build up his fat storage..he was about 15" at that time, he's now close to 17"

stan

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
How often is everyone feeding?

I'd like to see if growthrates are the same with a Flower kept in a species tank and a constant non stop supply of live food....

Maybe they're used to a main staple in the wild that we don't supply. Maybe that compromise results in them eating to maintain rather then grow?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I feed daily.. micht skip a day now and then... He is with 3 hystrix, so i know he is not getting out competed.... My flower is nutz over food!!

But i try to not ever power feed, i see no need in getting them to grow at abnormal speeds, besides i don't have a 750 gallon tank....yet.

What makes me think is maybe there is different variations like marbles (big ones and small ones) and/or motoros...etc...
I have seen no doubt some big ones, darrin and Edotero has some near 27-28"

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?299146-MALE-FLOWER-VS-FEMALE-FLOWER-GROWTH

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Once daily? Twice daily?

Might be just like Armatus.... Those with endless supplies of live food grew over twice the rate that others grew.... Don't see there being a large and small variant there. I think the Marble variant arguement has a lil more behind it, as there's several of us with several specimens and years of observations that support it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store