Tail chewing

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I dropped the divider a few weeks ago and the male has left her alone for the most part but seems to like chewing on her tail :irked:

Will this work itself out if I leave them together or should I put the divider back up.

She is eating like a pig and acting as a healthy ray should, she also has some very slight bite marks near the rear of her disk so he might also be trying to knock her up :screwy:

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
One of my males for some reason started latching onto one females gills repeated and did some pretty serious damage. After a couple weeks of separation he forgot about it and hasn't tried that again since. If he starts doing some real damage to her you might want to put the divider back up for a couple weeks and then try again.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Get use to it, you cant have more than one ray (especially adults) and one of them not get beat up...... eventually...

I have 2 rays (both females) that are now missing the end of tail... Sucks..

like what is said above, try dividing again, maybe it will stop and you can try again.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Yah, I am kind of stuck in between dividing or not. The damage to her tail is already done. I am pretty sure she is not sexually mature but anything is possible I guess. I am glad it is just the tip of her tail and nothing serious yet

I think I may monitor it for a few more days than throw in the divider if it gets worse, I hate to keep throwing a divider in there because it isn't very fair to the other fish who appreciate the swimming space :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store