Ways to protect my ray from burning itself on the heater!?!?!??

Xx D3GriPP xX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Warren, MI
Hey guys was looking for ways to keep my stingray from burning itself on the heater. is there some kind of guard to put on the heater. and i cant find berriers big enough for a 90 gallon. please if anyone has any tips or tricks to protect my ray from harmming itself please comment. thanks ahead of time!! :)

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
Do u have a sump? If u do I woud buy a titanium heater and put it in there...And I know this is off topic but I would look into a bigger tank if ur keeping rays in a 90 gallon...

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
Are you using a sump??? If u are I would buy a titanium heater and put ur heater in ur sump....And I know this is off topic but I would recommend u to look into buying a bigger tank if ur housing rays...

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
jus buy the fluval E digital heater. it comes w. protection

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
PVC pipe with holes is the quickest and easiest fix.
There's a plastic mesh called Naltex you can buy and form your own barrier with as well.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
I use heaters that come with a guard in all of my ray tanks. They work great and include a controller.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22277

They also sell just the shield if you have a heater that will fit in it, never tried that route myself.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22276

You could also use an inline heater on one of your pumps, or as others have suggested a PVC pipe with holes or the mesh would work to.

A note on the fluval e series heaters mentioned above, they are not fully submersible heaters, I was researching them last night before ordering another one of the ones above. You have to keep the top part of them above the water, if that's not a problem for you they would work to.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
The easyest way is deffinetly to stack wood infront of it, it has to be so packed that the ray dont come inn there. Shouldnt be hard, since rays are pretty big fromt hey are born.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Besides the PVC pipe the guys told you about already (which works good and is the cheapest way)
You can either buy the Fluval E serious heaters or the Rena Smart Heaters. Both are build to make sure they will not burn your stock.

If you are running a sump with your system, then just place the heater in your sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store