Came home to this, Low oxygen level.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
This is what i came home to after work on friday, i was thinking ****, this one is going to go. I have not lost a acclimated ray yet, so this was not a good sight. I did clean one of the canisters a few week back, and was thinking this was causing problem. Then i took a look at the powerhead i had in the tank, and noticed that it had stopped blowing air. I have had weird behavior for a couple of weeks, did run the test, nothing wrong with anyything, did some watherchanges anyway to see if it sorted itselfe out, and it got better every time. BUT, the problem was that the powerhead was blowing air, just not enough, and friday was the day it stopped completley. Cleaned it, took another on ine aswell, 2 houres after, every single ray acted like normal again. Even the one that is floating on the pics. The weird thing is that i didnt see anything on my 20cm geophaguses, i have 6 of them.

This is a lesson learned thread. As you can see on one of the photos every ray is in one spot, this was were there is most current (and the little that was left of oxygen wold pass by)

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
What a relief ! This page has not loaded for me the last 2 days. X2 on the air stone my leo really likes playin in the bubbles.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I also have problems loading this page, really irritating. Only 1 of my canister blow in the surface, and the powerhead blows ALOT of air. I just gotta be more causious about it. Everyone is eating and living well, god bless :) I think it was weird that the geophagus didnt go in the surface tho, that says alot about how much oxygen stingrays really need in their tank to thrive.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
i can also inform that lack of oxygen, will make them not eat as much as normalt. Before the lack thing i feed every day and somethimes every other day. When there was lack of oxygen they didnt want ANY food the second day if i feed 2 days in a row. After i fixed the oxygen they eat like hawks every day! Really Really big improvement.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Glad they are all OK. I noticed the same thing about feeding and low O2. I run air stones but had to take a pump from one of my ray tanks to take with me as a backup when I went to pick up some rays from the airport. I forgot to hook it back up when I got home and noticed that my rays didn't eat much that night when I fed them but didn't clue in to the air stone missing (was busy acclimating the new rays). The next morning they were both breathing heavily and sitting still on the bottom. After a couple of hours of hooking up the air stone, they were back to normal and ate like normal when I fed them. My filter output does agitate the water surface, but I guess the O2 levels are lower at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going to add my air pumps to my emergency power backups instead of just the pumps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store