Pigeonblood's 40g Hightec Planted Build

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
I have been moving a lot and finally found a place close to campus and I will be there for the next year, so I've decided to buckle down and do a high-tec planted tank. I currently am still in the research stage of what I actually want to buy, but I have a good idea of what I want to do with everything. I'll post pictures as I progress through this and hopefully I can get some feedback, negative or positive! This is going to be a lot of info at once,but it's everything I plan on doing.

HERE WE GO!

Equipment:
Tank:
40g rimless:naughty:
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_25_29&products_id=332
Going to SF this weekend and am planning on picking this bad boy up!!!!!

Lighting:
Hagen 36" GLO Dual T5 HO 2 x 39W Lighting System
http://www.aquacave.com/hagen-36-glo-dual-brt5-ho-2-x-39w-lighting-brsystem-2011.html
OR
SUN BLAZE T-5, 24" LightFixture 4 x 24W lamp
http://www.aquacave.com/sun-blaze-t-5-24-lightbr-fixture-4-x-24w-lampsbr-by-sunlight-supply-2134.html

Regardess of what fixture I choose, it will be suspended from the ceiling. I am leaning towards the Hagen because of the fact that it is larger than the tank dimensions, opposed to the sun blaze which is smaller.These are the bulbs I'll be using...

Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamp http://www.aquacave.com/giesemann-powerchrome-br-aqua-flora-t5-lamps-2306.html
Giesemann Power Chrome Midday T5 Lamps
http://www.aquacave.com/giesemann-powerchrome-br-midday-t5-lamps-833.html
The lights will be automatic and will be run for 10 hours a day.

Heater:
Hydor ETH 200 In-line Heater
http://www.bigalspets.com/Hydor-ETH-200-Line-Heater-200/dp/B0002JEMM6?ie=UTF8&id=Hydor%20ETH%20200%20-Line%20Heater-200&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=3007699011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=3007699011&searchPage=1&searchKeywords=inline&field_keywords=inline&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank
This model does fit the out take line for the eheim 2215/2217. I want to put this on the out take line so that the water running through it is clean and not full of junk

Filtration:
Eheim 2215 or 2217
Im trying to decide which one to get. Im going to have the intake and out-take as partial lilly pipes so I wont have to deal with the ugly green tubing. I'm also trying to decide what type of filtration media to use.
http://www.bigalspets.com/Eheim-Filter-2217-Plus-Kit/dp/B0002AQXVI?ie=UTF8&id=Eheim%20Filter%202217%20Plus%20Kit&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=3007699011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=3007699011&searchPage=1&searchKeywords=eheim%202217&field_keywords=eheim%202217&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank

Sterilization:
JBJ NANOZAPP Inline Ultra Violet Sterilizer-3W
http://www.bigalspets.com/JBJ-NANOZAPP-Inline-Violet-Sterilizer-3W/dp/B004H89XDQ?ie=UTF8&id=JBJ%20NANOZAPP%20Inline%20Violet%20Sterilizer-3W&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=3007699011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=3007699011&searchPage=1&searchKeywords=inline&field_keywords=inline&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank
Ya it's only for a 30g, but its's better than nothing! This will only be run when the lights are turned off.

CO2:
Definitely going to have a automatic, full-blown pressurized system, but not sure where I should buy this at..any input? O I'll also have a airstone that turns on automatically when the CO2 system shuts off.

So that is it for the physical "hardware" I'm going to be building a custom stand to put it on and will be designing my own lilly pipes for the intake and output. I definitely want the light fixture, CO2, airstone, and UV sterilizer to be automatic. The exhaust tube from the eheim will be 50% lilly pipe and 50% 1/2" tubing. The UV sterilizer and inline heater will be on the 1/2" tubing. I want this set up to be CLEAN, both visually and literally.

Here comes the substrate and ferts section!

Substrate:
Im thinking of going all in on this....by this I mean ALL ADG products:naughty::naughty::naughty:. I am still confused on what I should have exactly. If anyone has any viable alternatives I would appreciate it. The ADG set up is going to set me back about $300, if I could save some money I would appreciate it!

You can find the individual items on their site, but here is a list:

3x 20lb bags of Malaya Normal Type Aquasoil
1x Penac W 200g (Aquarium)
1x Penac P 200g (For Plants)
1x Tourmaline BC
1x Bacter 100
1x Power Sand SPECIAL-M 6 Liter
2x Aqua Soil Malaya (3 Liters)-Powder Type

This should be enough to give me good coverage and nutrients. I just dont know if I need the penac, bacter,power sand, etc. A LFS guy told me this stuff is the best and he is a pretty knowledgeable guy and since Im not purchasing it from him Im kinda inclined to believe him, THIS IS THE AREA I AM LOOKING FOR THE MOST FEEDBACK.

Fertilizers:
Pfertz High tec+
http://www.pfertz.com/hightechplus.html
What else should I be dosing? I know ill add the penac and what not after water changes, but what else is essential?!

Aquascaping:
Im planning on having a design that slopes from right to left...this is what I had in mind sort of...http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/journals/63921-jinsei888s-40g-planted-tank-journal.html
The right side of that tank is a little overcrowded in my opinion, I would rather have a low height plant like baby tears to create more of a "meadow" look. I do LOVE the left side of that tank.
Im going driftwood hunting after I get back from vacation, I have a few pieces already that Im going to start soaking.

Fauna:
Siamese algae eater x2
Breeding pair of Snakeskin Discus
Cherry Shrimp
Cardinal Tetras x25(maybe less)
Oto x2
BGR x2

Open to suggestions!

Plants:
Ill figure this out more when I get the hardware and everything!!! Suggestions are welcome though!

Well that's it for now, I'm going to do some research on plan type and will keep this post updated regularily. Im probably not going to be able to set the tank up till the 15th of September (my official move in date), but Im hoping to have a lot of the hardware by then. Im leaving for Washington with my girlfriend for a week starting 9/2-9/11, so I wont be able to respond rapidly but keep the info coming!

THANKS!

ChrisLife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Yonkers, NY
You seem to have just about everything down, wow if only everyone did they're research like you lol.

Substrate, i say if your gonna go all high tech, then do the multiple layers, But dont buy the expensive crap. I dont know how much i can help you but i know some people use a very rich bottom layer of soil, some even get it from outside (Remember cook it to kill all the crap in it)), others use regular dirt from homedepot, etc then a toping subtrate, i would use eco-complete for the top soil. I don't know detials but im sure you can do a little reseach and see what i mean, maybe some people on here know what I'm talking bout.

For the co2 you need a diffuser, co2 is very hard to breakdown into the water, a little trick i use it taking the hose and putting it into the filter intake, but it your gonna go high tech just get a co2 diffuser, expensive little things tho.

Also many view snails as a pest but if your gonna have a deep substrate layer then snails are a must, to aerate it and and keep gases from building up,Malaysian trumpet snails should do the job.

Find a local dealer that sells co2 tell him you'll be a regular see if he gives you a small discount.

A little tip for you to invest in is a pair of stainless steal scissors and long tweezers, the sharper the better, believe me. Sorry if its a little unorganized its a little late, and I'm a little tired lol

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
You seem to have just about everything down, wow if only everyone did they're research like you lol.

Substrate, i say if your gonna go all high tech, then do the multiple layers, But dont buy the expensive crap. I dont know how much i can help you but i know some people use a very rich bottom layer of soil, some even get it from outside (Remember cook it to kill all the crap in it)), others use regular dirt from homedepot, etc then a toping subtrate, i would use eco-complete for the top soil. I don't know detials but im sure you can do a little reseach and see what i mean, maybe some people on here know what I'm talking bout.

For the co2 you need a diffuser, co2 is very hard to breakdown into the water, a little trick i use it taking the hose and putting it into the filter intake, but it your gonna go high tech just get a co2 diffuser, expensive little things tho.

Also many view snails as a pest but if your gonna have a deep substrate layer then snails are a must, to aerate it and and keep gases from building up,Malaysian trumpet snails should do the job.

Find a local dealer that sells co2 tell him you'll be a regular see if he gives you a small discount.

A little tip for you to invest in is a pair of stainless steal scissors and long tweezers, the sharper the better, believe me. Sorry if its a little unorganized its a little late, and I'm a little tired lol
No worries thanks for the input!!! I'm still debating if I want to use the expensive stuff. I am more than willing to drop the $$$ for it;but that extra money could be put towards something else. I'm still on route to pick up the tank this weekend and if I can get that out of the way everything else is pretty cheap in my opinion. As far as CO2 goes, I'm definitely going to have a diffuser :D I love the look of the glass tubing! I never thought about aeration of the substrate, thanks for opening my mind to it! I read that if you put your smallest grain size on the bottom layer and move progressively up in the layers by increasing grain size then it will allow for better aeration. it will also allow "dangerous gases" to move up through the soil and escape without building up!

Keep the feedback coming!

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
So I am doing a little bit more research for what plants I want. Obviously there will be some plants that I choose and some plants that I won't but here is what I am considering...

Foreground/Cover Plants:
Bacopa Australis
Hemianthus Callitrichoides ''Cuba'

Midground:
Blyxa japonica

Background:
Barclaya longifolia....... Hopefully I can find this somewhere..
Ludwigia Inclinata var. Verticillata ("Cuba")
Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Sword)

Random Java Moss...

Just some thoughts...

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
So I'm packing to head to san fran and will be leaving in about an hour!!!! Im still planning on getting the tank, I may even take some pics of their store to show all of you whats up! Once I get back this tank is going to get rolling for sure! See you guys in a few days!

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
Hey so I just got back and what a trip!!! I had an amazing time with my girl and even got to get my tank! Ill post pics and what not in a day or two!

If you want tips as far as saving money instead of these high prices let me know.

I can save you a TON of doe
How so!?!??!?!?

ChrisLife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Yonkers, NY
Hey so I just got back and what a trip!!! I had an amazing time with my girl and even got to get my tank! Ill post pics and what not in a day or two!

How so!?!??!?!?
I would like to know too, i know if you get all this stuff online it will save you quite a bit, drfosterandsmith is a good place to get stuff cheap, good shipping rates too.

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
How so!?!??!?!?
I would like to know too, i know if you get all this stuff online it will save you quite a bit, drfosterandsmith is a good place to get stuff cheap, good shipping rates too.

grab your pens ....

LIghting
Ebay : TogDogSellers 36" T5ho 2 39W 6500K 50$ Free shipping

Filtration
3 Stage Canister built in 9W sterilizer (also comes without) 375gph 80$
or
3 Stage Canister 264gph 40$

Substrate
Bag of Miracle Grow organic - 10$
50lbs of Fine Black Sand (Tractor Supply) $8.99

Co2
First look on Ebay for Victor Regulators might find one for less than 10$
if not
Water-Testers sell a Mil Reg with co2 tubing for $86.00 free shipping
AquariumPlants.com sells a 5lb cylinder for $60+ HOWEVER there is a cylinder right now on ebay WITH the regulator for 80$

Just because the price is HIGH doesnt make it "HighTech"

Pigeonblood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
San Luis Obispo
grab your pens ....

LIghting
Ebay : TogDogSellers 36" T5ho 2 39W 6500K 50$ Free shipping

Filtration
3 Stage Canister built in 9W sterilizer (also comes without) 375gph 80$
or
3 Stage Canister 264gph 40$

Substrate
Bag of Miracle Grow organic - 10$
50lbs of Fine Black Sand (Tractor Supply) $8.99

Co2
First look on Ebay for Victor Regulators might find one for less than 10$
if not
Water-Testers sell a Mil Reg with co2 tubing for $86.00 free shipping
AquariumPlants.com sells a 5lb cylinder for $60+ HOWEVER there is a cylinder right now on ebay WITH the regulator for 80$

Just because the price is HIGH doesnt make it "HighTech"
Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

and by hightec i meant fully automated fert injections, ph monitor, temp monitor, etc....im going all in on this one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store