New Tank, is it good for a ray?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm planning on getting a new tank soon, something in the 125-210 gallon range.

Have my eyes on either a 180 (72X24X24) or 210 (84X24X24) tank right now.

I'm planning on putting red-tail barracudas in (5-6 of them), and probably a Bichir or 2, maybe a Pleco.

I'm not new to the hobby, but have never kept a ray before. Are these good tank mates for a ray?

Also, I plan on putting plant substrate in the bottom of the tank (finely grained soil that you can buy at petco), and a few larger plants (probably 2 big amazon swords), is this substrate OK for rays? I'm planning on just a few larger plants because I already have them in a 55G and they have large root systems so they shouldn't be easily uprooted, but will the Ray tear them apart/uproot them no matter how big?

ALSO not sure what kind of ray to get. I know Motoro rays are good for beginners, but I also don't want a ray that will outgrow a 180/210 gallon tank. A good LFS near me carries FW Atlantic rays.... but I am very unsure about picking up one of those.

Thanks!

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
The bichirs and plecos might be a problem... some plecos from what I hear love the taste of a rays slime coat, and bichirs are a hit or miss. Mine would nip at the rays, some ppl on here tho don't have any problems from their bichirs. Try it if you really want but you'll have to keep a close eye on everyone.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Pleco would probably be a problem, don't know about the rest. They only rays that MIGHT not outgrow a 210G are hystrix and retic. Motoros would definitely outgrow your tanks, the females get over 24" when fully grown.

Atlantic rays are actually salt water rays, they are fine in fresh water when they are young but need to be acclimated to salt water as they get older. They also put out allot more ammonia than freshwater rays do.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
fishdog has some male hystrix for sale.... they would be great in that tank for life! You should look him up, you wont be sorry.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Well, first problem you have is you live in Texas. FW rays are not legal in Texas.
Second problem, you cant get past the first problem..

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well darn. Didn't even notice that. Hmmm.... looks like I'll just have a barracuda/bichir tank until I get move out of this state :(

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
that tanks to small for rays sorry

you need min tank size 72 long x 36 wide x 24 deep

forget plants

some plecos are ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com