Breeding Question

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Hi All,

Well I have been fortunate enough to purchase a very nice adult, proven pair of marbled motoros (not wth each other but with other rays).

They have been here a little over a week and are settling in very nice. I also have another adult marbled motoro x regular motoro female. The male has become very rough with the females, tail biting, disc rips and pieces missing. I hear this is normal for breeding but have decided the male will be housed seperately from the females due to this.

Now the big question, never ever been through this so likely a dumb question.

For you who house your males seperate from the females, how long do you add the male into the female tank for?

How do you know they have been bred?

Any advice / suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Unless you actually catch them in the act your not going to know until you see a large hump on the females back, and know for sure when that hump starts moving.

How long you leave them together really depends alot on your rays. The bigger your females are the more they can take from the male. At the same time some males are more aggressive than others, some of my males just scuff the females disks trying to latch on, maybe do a little damage, then I have others that take big chunks out of the females disks.

My advice would be to would be to put the male in for a few weeks, depending how much damage he is doing, and then give the female a break till she heals. If you see signs she is pregnant then no need to put the male back in, if not repeat.

Depending on your tanks a divider maybe another option, in one of my ponds I have a big wall that a drop down to seal off the males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store