What Is Your Favorite Gar? Bonus Choice: Bowfin

Which Is Your Favorite?

• Total voters

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Well, here it is. Absolutely zero point to this poll but let's get something going.

I am grouping all of the hybrids into one category -- for that I apologize. There are the Crocs (I, II, III), the Medius, and maybe more. If you vote Hybrid, post which you like!

I excluded morphs since they are not their own species -- if you love a morph best, let us know.

Bonus choice for the closest relative to the gar and only other Holostei out there; Amia calva, the Bowfin!

Give reasons for your choice so this thread can be productive. Who knows, we might learn something.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
The thread goes up before the poll is ready. Forums are weird.

--

I am voting Longnose Gar. I can't get over the thin, elongated snout. There is something just too cool about watching one maneuver a fish from the tip of the snout down to the mouth. It's like the most disturbed game of Plinko ever. The Longnose Gar also is native to a certain few New York waters so I need to represent it.

My runner up would be the Tropical Gar. Easily the best species I've kept. They get big, but not unbearably big, and eat whatever you give them. Very good with pellets, sometimes from the first night in. Every one has its own unique blotched pattern, unlike some floridas that all look the same (though not all).

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
You can't edit polls or else I would. I should have left multi-voting open at the least. Sorry guys, if you want to vote you need to choose.

If you like them all equally, just speak up like Richard.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
My top choice is the tropical gar. Despite never having kept one, I picked this gar species because of their pattern, coloration, and small size in comparison to the other Atractosteus gars.

It's a tough choice for me to pick a runner up since I enjoy all of the remaining gar species equally, but I guess I'll have to go with the alligator gar since I have five of them of various sizes. I enjoy these gars because they're the kings of the gar world, and they know it and show it. Besides, who doesn't like a gar that can reach lengths of 3' or more in captivity and get even larger in the wild?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Medius!! While iv sadly never kept one, the concept of a sng lng seems hilarious. Doesnt hurt they look awesome

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Atractosteus is putting the beatdown on Lepisosteus.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I do SO adore my Bowfins, but my vote went to the Longnose gar also. My boy Logan is just too bad "tail" to believe. The positioning of prey into that extremely narrow snout is simply amazing.

I totally freaked out to learn how large of a prey a LNG can devoure. It was like a felix the cat and the magic cat thing.

I have seen Logan eat florida gar that were well over 50% of its body length. I know it has to be impossible, but I saw it with my own two eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store