stingray things

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
so i ordered my first stingray the other day the guy i ordered them from had them on back order so it will get here next thurs morning. i want to put sand in the tank but i'm wondering how to keep it out of my HOB filter. i am also taking a cannister from a seeded tank and putting it on. so back to my question. how can i keep the sand out of my HOB filter.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
You can either move the intake up towards the top of the tank or you can put a sponge over the intake or you can do both :)

It will also help if you get a heavier sand. Tahitian moon sand is very fine and will blow everywhere. Any T grade sand will be larger just make sure it will not affect water chemistry and is not sharp.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
thanks john i think i'll put a sponge on it and raise it

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
would play sand work for a ray and not be too small to blow around the tank?

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I would say to use pool filter sand...I had Tahitian sand before and it was a big mess..And I would also do what john said..

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I would go with either pool filter sand or what I used which is a T grade quartz which is very inexpensive and can be found at landscape supply companies

Out of water and in tank shots of the stuff I used

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i use regular play sand and it's fine. i never find any in my canister filter nor sump.
i also have a smaller planted tank which has play sand in it as well, with 2 HOB filters on it, no sand gets in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store