New to rays

Hondacrx2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Pa
Basically my question how can you tell of motoro rays are starving as pups? I feed them sinking pellets and k am not sure they eat them. They move around alot looking for food but never eat any pellets then when I go to bed the next morning the pellets are gone. So idk if the eat them or what. They measure about 2inches in diameter.

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I would try to cut up some nightcrawlers first..They should eat that for sure but you need to cut the pieces as small as u can...

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
And after about a month I would ween off the nightcrawlers and try to feed them pellets..Another thing that I learned and was told many times don't let food sit in ur tank more then 30 mins...Thats what will assist in creating higher nitrate and ammonia spikes...

royteo86

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
singapore
bro for the pups. are they the only one in the tank ? and fyi they are much more active during the night and how big are they now ?

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
How long have you had them? What other fish are in the tank? If there are no other fish and the filters aren't full of the food the rays are presumably eating.

But most rays eat the second the food hits the tank, they don't wait until the lights go out. For pups I'd want to keep them in a ray-only tank and barebottom so I can be sure they're eating.

If you post decent pics it should be easy to assess whether they're starving.

Hondacrx2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Pa
Thank you for all the quick replys. They are about 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter. They have a 8" tig tank mate. But he is new as well they are all about 6 days new to the tank. The tig is straight rejetting my food for now. When I feed I turn my filters way down so they aren't getting sucked up. Also they are both females if that matters. My water is 7ph 0ammonia 0nitrite 40ish nitrate. My nitrate is alittle high but I don't want to do to big of a water change to stress the fish out since they are new. I'll do a 20% change today thou. And so cut earthworms very small and just drop them in? And lastly for filtration I have a xp4, fluval 405, and 2 fluval 305's on a 75gallon. Yes tank is slightly small for now. I will be moved out of my parents house next spring and WILL have a 300 gallon.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Rays that small are extremely unlikely to eat pellets. Live black worms are the most likely to be accepted followed by chopped earthworms. Even chopped crawlers are reasonably likely to be rejected by rays that small. And since they're so small they'll starve quicker so get on the worm thing ASAP unless you can prove for sure they're eating the pellets (in which case IMO you're lucky).

Hondacrx2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2010
Pa
How long will they need black worms? The closest place that sells them is a 30hr hike one way and a small bag is 10.50$. I mean it's not that I am poor just that adds up quick ha.

Ma12cus504

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
"Coco City"
I usually start out with black worms --- > chop night crawler -----> MP aka shrimp ---> pellet lace with shrimp ----> 100% pellet.

This method always works for me

But IMO, pellet are expensive. Shrimp is much cheaper :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store