Thought this might help..

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
hey ppl.. just been doing a bit of reading and i came across this.. prob its been posted earlier.. pls ignore if its been done.. anyway.. this is about thiaminase and carnivorous fish..what fish contain thiaminase and what dont.. the list is at the bottom.. i used to feed mullet to my aros.. its been some 5 months now that i haven't.. and mullet does have thiaminase.. well here is the link.. cheers

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Great read. Lists are extremly useful. Thanks

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Crustaceans:
Prawn, Tiger shrimp (Penaeus spp.)

^ This is not good

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Crustaceans:
Prawn, Tiger shrimp (Penaeus spp.)

^ This is not good
ya i saw that too brian.. but in the list of fish without thiaminaise there is a crustacean list.. has marine shrimps and portuguese crabs.. and further down.. there is a "How can I avoid the thiamine deficiency syndrome?" pt 2. Avoid feeding exclusively frozen bivalves or shrimps, because these potentially have very high thiaminase content. says exclusively frozen.. lil confused if frozen or shrimp is the catch here.. my aros eat frozen prawn reluctantly.. but the minute i give them fresh they go crazy..

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
hmm didnt saything about butterfly shrimps? or are they categorized as tiger shrimp?
Brian is right that note about the prawn and shrimp is a uh-oh... lol

btw kaya nice find! it was a good read :D

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
ya i saw that too brian.. but in the list of fish without thiaminaise there is a crustacean list.. has marine shrimps and portuguese crabs.. and further down.. there is a "How can I avoid the thiamine deficiency syndrome?" pt 2. Avoid feeding exclusively frozen bivalves or shrimps, because these potentially have very high thiaminase content. says exclusively frozen.. lil confused if frozen or shrimp is the catch here.. my aros eat frozen prawn reluctantly.. but the minute i give them fresh they go crazy..
Yes I see that,
Marine shrimps (sp. indet.; Hawaii)
which looks to be
Whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei, formerly Penaeus vannamei), also known as Pacific white shrimp, is a variety of prawn of the eastern Pacific Ocean commonly caught or farmed for food. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteleg_shrimp
Which is what is labeled on the packaged shrimp I feed. Looks like alot of the cheap seafoods many of us are feeding to our fish are not good.

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
whoa good information, i feed my fish prawn once or twice a week on while they will have hakari pellets as their main food..and i do not plan to change their diets. its GOOD after all within acceptable amount and balance is the keyword to look for.

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
True Brian.. I didn't want to cause a scare but its better being aware.. anyway i found another link..

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Thiaminase

a little discrepancy in this.. they list hake as thiaminase free but the earlier link includes them.. there are a couple more links at the end of this link i've given now.. tilapia is on the list of not containing thiaminase.. so thats one thing right.. but i'm still bothered bout the prawns..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store