cheap water polisher?

clayton1985

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
uk
hi guys just wondering if anyone knew of any ways to give the water a good polish without having to go down the diatom filter route. My water parameters are good, ammonia 0.00, nitrite 0.00 and nitrate 0.5. I have a wet/dry that handles all the bio part of my filter and it has filter floss above it to catch detrius. There is also a cannister filter on it from an old tank, it is underated for the size of the tank its intended for a 400l tank and the tank it on is 700l+ but it was only really to aid cycling the tank and to add some mechanical filtration. The problem is i can still see particles in the water column so i was wondering if i could fill the cannister i have now with filter floss or if you guys know any other way i could polish the water. If it means buying a bigger cannister i will, but i could just do with something a bit cheaper at the moment as with everyone money is a bit tight

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
a 100 micron sock would make the water crisp

clayton1985

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
uk
would i have to put a power head in the tank aimed at the overflow in order to make the filter sock work though?

clayton1985

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
uk
would i have to put a power head in the tank aimed at the overflow for it to make any difference

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
HOB001.jpg

Cheap and effective.
Pleated cartridges available in 5-20 micron locally for not a bunch of cash.
Whole house water filter is $20 or more.
Pump $ determined by GPH.
Few pieces of PVC-priceless.....
Can be configured any way you want.
Like shown, or under stand.
If your tank has an incredible about of debris the cartridges will plug rather quickly, but should need less cleaning as the debris is removed.
Once water is clean and clear unit could be run only when needed.
If your not all that handy, a Magnum 350 or HOT 250 running the 8 micron cartridge will do the same job.
Good luck.

HOB001.jpg

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
View attachment 704957

Cheap and effective.
If your tank has an incredible about of debris the cartridges will plug rather quickly, but should need less cleaning as the debris is removed.
If your not all that handy, a Magnum 350 or HOT 250 running the 8 micron cartridge will do the same job.
Good luck.
I love this IDEA ! thnx

clayton1985

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2011
uk
View attachment 704957

Cheap and effective.
Good luck.
absoloutly brilliant that mate....so simple aswell...il pick up the bits in the next week or so and il let you know how it goes....much appreciated

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Kaiser's idea is great. If you have a sump, you can simply figure out a way to incorporate filter socks. You can get filter socks down to 1 micron ratings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store