ray filtration

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
hey everyone. i will be getting my first ray soon and i was wondering what type of filtration i would need on top of what i have. my HOB filter is a fluval 5 stage filter rated for 70-100 gallons on a 55 growout. what can i get on top of that, that will be sufficient/overkill on my tank?

my water params so far are
ammonia-really high(it was so high i can't remeber the number)
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
ph-6.7/6.8
i am getting ammo lock to break down my ammonia tomorrow, and the ray comes on thursday.

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
Your tank is not ready to introduce any fish, let alone a ray. Ammo lock is not a solution. You need to let the tank cycle.

Moreover, a single HOB filter is not anywhere close to adequate in terms of filtration. And a 55g tank is not suitable for even a juvenile stingray. Do you have a larger tank to put him in after a few weeks?

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I would wait for the tank to cycle before adding the ray. I would also add at least a large canister filter (fx5 or large eheim) and let the tank fully cycle (6-8 weeks). Adding a ray before then could be very risky IMO

A 55 gallon could last you several months depending on how small the ray is when you get it.

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I honestly would definitely wait on putting ur new ray in ur 55 gallon because you don't want it to get ammonia burn and die...And second I would look into getting a much bigger tank if your going to house a ray or rays...

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
A 55 gallon could last you several months depending on how small the ray is when you get it.
Yes, agreed-- "weeks" was a bit unrealistic. But when a person is saying that ammonia is so high that he can't remember the number but that's ok because he has ammo-lock in a 55g with no indication that he actually has a bigger tank, the most important thing is to hammer in the point that he should not be taking this ray this Thursday.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
"Ammonia so high that I cannot remember" is not a tank that is ready for a ray. Ammo Lock is also not a solution. You should really call whoever your getting your ray from and tell them you need to delay shipment for a week or two till you get your tank cycled, if you tell them the size and condition of your tank they will probably insist you wait.

Even a pup will be cramped in a 55, but it would probably be able to survive for a while if you had enough filtration and water changes. Do you have a larger tank to move it into, or plan to have one soon?

As far as additional filtration I would recommend either an FX5 or one of the larger Eheim Pro3 series filters. I would also recommend Seachem Stability to help get your tank cycled, and maybe some Seachem Prime to deal with the ammonia.

What fish do you have in there right now, and will they be staying once the ray comes in?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
i should have explained a bit more, this was after my power was out for 12 hours.(i was giving most recent params) the tank has been up and running for around ten months now. the housing will be the 55 while i set up a 250 in the basement. what type/brand of canister filter would you reccomend?and jstavis if you read my first post i was asking what would be adequate to add to my hob filter, so before flaming someone please read the post. in there now i have 2 comets a pleco and a killifish. i plan on getting rid of all of them.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
i should have explained a bit more, this was after my power was out for 12 hours.(i was giving most recent params) the tank has been up and running for around ten months now. the housing will be the 55 while i set up a 250 in the basement. what type/brand of canister filter would you reccomend?and jstavis if you read my first post i was asking what would be adequate to add to my hob filter, so before flaming someone please read the post. in there now i have 2 comets a pleco and a killifish. i plan on getting rid of all of them.

fx5 for filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store