Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-06-2011 9:12 AM
    Blog Entries

Oscar Fish Growth rate

What is your experience with the growth rate of an oscar fish, what kind of diet did you have them on for this growth rate. I recently got back into Oscar fish and what amazes me is I kept 4 of them in a 10 gallon tank for a few semesters in college. I didn't know back then that they can grow so quickly. I have a 50 gallon now and I am going to get a 150 - 200 when the time comes, use the 50 gallon to quarantine.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 3:56 PM
    on the average about an 1 inch a month. I feed mine pellets, veggies, fruits, frozen blood worms, frozen krill. But not all Oscars will grow at that rate, some slower , some faster. A buddy of mine Tiger Oscar grew about 1.5 -2 inches a month. They slow down alot in growth rate around 9+ inches. It's not uncommon to hear of an oscar hitting 12 inches by the time he/ she is a year old.

Since they are fast growers i would recommend that you get the big tank first. Most Oscars outgrow a 50 gallons in a matter of a couple of months (assumeing that you get him around 1-2 inches)
    Jag pics (Gold Saum from baby to now) http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...baby-Gold-Saum
    General pics (Jack Dempsey from baby to now) http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...-named-General
    Mac pics (Red Devil / Midas from baby to now) http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...48#post5887548

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    07-01-2013 7:25 AM
    My oscars were bought at perhaps an inch long and I was easily at 10 inches in all of 8 months. They have pretty much slowed down at this point and are not gorwing too quickly anymore.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-27-2014 10:42 PM
    I had an oscar grow 1.5 inches a month. A matter of keeping water clean and feeding. The more they eat the faster they grow.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Any particular filter you guys recommend for a 150 - 200 tank? It seems a lot of people love the Fluval FX5 but I don't have experience with canister filters yet.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-24-2014 1:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nick@nite View Post
    What is your experience with the growth rate of an oscar fish, what kind of diet did you have them on for this growth rate. I recently got back into Oscar fish and what amazes me is I kept 4 of them in a 10 gallon tank for a few semesters in college. I didn't know back then that they can grow so quickly. I have a 50 gallon now and I am going to get a 150 - 200 when the time comes, use the 50 gallon to quarantine.
    Rule of thumb:
    75-100g for a single.....2 for a 100g...........You can safely raise a pair in a basic 6 foot 125g and they will thrive.........OScars grow quick, so a 50-55g is way unhealthy for this fish....Start this fish off in the tank they will be in for the rest of their life.......Many say a 75g is the best for one Oscar.........When it comes to Oscars, I like the minumum at 125g(foot)........A strong filtration system is needed for this type of fish...........It is best to build yourself one...A DIY wet/dry setup is the best filter for these monsters..........I have built one for my 1125g for under $100..........WOrks fuine.......An oscar can grow to 8-10 inches within a year.............
    PYGOCENTRUS NATTERI

Every choice has a consequence...Every hero has a destiny...Every saga had an ending....

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Frank
    Last Activity
    Today 6:55 PM
    IN my experience....if you get a 2-3" Oscar,....if housed properly (100gall+ tank), good diet, and do weekly maintenance (ie water changes, filter cleaning etc) ...... 12"s in about 1 year.

They grow pretty fast. Get a larger tank ASAP.

Personally, I use a combination of Hikari pellets (all sorts -- everyday), red wrigglers (2x-3x per week), (meal worms 1x per week), algae wafers (2x-3x per week), and the occasional mysis shrimp, market shrimp, and hikari frozen blood worms.

BTW, I doubt you kept several Oscars for several semesters in a 10 gallon tank.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-05-2014 4:14 PM
    My 2 oscars did about 3.5" in the first month I had them an now they are growing a lot slower. I feed mine hikari cichlid gold an staple along with frozen foods an feeders every once in a while.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    11-27-2014 10:42 PM
    Oscars are like garbage cans with fins...If it goes in the water it will disappear.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    I've been doing cichlid gold every day and a few times a week beef heart. I'm already looking at craigslist for a bigger tank, looks like I could get a 180 for $300 - $500.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast