new ideas for sw tank

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have a 24x12x17 inch (60x30x43cm) sw tank. t the back it has a 24x17x4inch filter area and underneth a 24gal sump. I have two 1200l/h(320gal/h) powerheads. one circulates the tank and the other is the return from the sump to the tank, giving pretty good circulation. I have a protein skimmer running on a 2000l/h (534gal/h) powerhead. I also have tons of plastic bio balls about 1 inch in diameter and kilograms of ceramic bio balls in the sump along with a 300W ceramic heater with external thermostat.

I have a 2-3inch sand bed(taken from one of the islands in Taiwan) and about 20lbs of live rock. this all under a 36W plo light with one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb on for about 12-14 hours a day.

I had a picasso triggerfish which i was growing a bit while i waited for a larger tank but he has passed away as im new to saltwater tanks and he was not a good specimen to buy. The tank had cycled for 3.5 weeks. he was with a 9 inch snowflake eel who now lives alone and happy as larry.

now that u have the info i can ask the questions.........I want to go semi reef with inverts like feather dusters and such as i have a few already (unidentified) that came witht he live rocks. I cant go reef as i cant afford a chiller and the weather here is stinking hot. Also the snowflake limits me with mobile inverts like shrimp and crabs which i dont mind. what else could i put with the eel( who will a few months down the line go to a bigger home that i find for him. I would like a selection to look at at not just one fish that can live with the eel.

also i want to tank the third section in my sump and turn it into a small refugium. can i do this with a 13W globe that will be lighting about 7-8galsof water and if so what inverts and other life can i put on thye refugium to make it most produtive.

i will be adding another light identical to the one i have in the next month or two. or should i go for the daylight red bulb combo option?? :feedback: :feedback:

sorry its a lot to read but the more info i give u the better advice u can give me. :cheers:

thanks

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
yeah eels are cool when there small or by themselves
but with others they turn into nightmares

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
yea i wnt the fish more than the reef at the mo. so i was thinking maybe a feather duster or two and the some fish other than damsels as i have 2 in a smaller tank. so can it be done?

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Tell me the exact amount of gallons it is? I dont know much about mixing eels with feather dusters, I would think the eel would would tear it apart, but what do I know?

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
eel's with feather duster are not a problem
it's with other inverts or fish you have to be worried about
most of the time only when the lights are off

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005