Is Pool filter sand ray safe ?

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
I know its prolly been asked but when I did a search I couldn't find much info , so can someone Please help me out ?
Thus far in my fish keeping I have only kept large aggressive cichlids ... now I notice myself switching over to the calming more relaxing tanks with aros and rays and a shoal of colorful fish for mid tank .

Can earth eaters be kept with rays ? just starting to really like them .

I heard tin foils make great ray tank mates ( they clean up the rays poo ?) is that true ?

I am sorry guys I am sure everyone is tired of answering questions over and over , I have been keeping fish for over a decade but have never owned a ray , I know some but I have a long way to go before I make the purchase

when I am ready I think I am going to buy motoros , from what I read they are a good beginers ray and I really like the colors and patterns and I heard they can be a very personable fish some what dog like , is this true ?

Now I am going to give everyone a chance to tell me in your own opinion what arethe most important things that YOU think ALL ray keepers Should know

Thank everyone in advance I am really looking forward to hearing everyones responces

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
water quality is numero uno

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
For the many people that I know that have rays use pool filter sand a lot....So I would say it's good...

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
ok Kool Thanks so much!
water quality shouldn't be a problem , going to be running a large sump, 2 Fx5's plus a fluiodized bed filter with a ton of K1 media and I am going to have a auto water changer set at 75 - 100 Gpd but that is a tank they will go in once grown , I plan on buying pups and they'd be going into a 150 or a 180 by themselves with an Fx5 and a large sump with a bunch of bio balls .
Still would like any info anyone would like to give me whether it be about Diet, tankmates, other substrates, decor or no decor ( want to use some decor in my tank like drift wood but scared too )
Just any info to do with ANYTHING rays . Thanks in advance :)

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have pool filter sand in with mine with no problems. Drift wood is fine to use but depends on how big it is and how big you tank is. You need to dedicate the bottom to the rays so the more decor you add the less space you have.

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Not sure if thisll help at all but i have 5 silver dollars w/ my ray and they do very well together and ive hardly seen any ray poo since i put them in the tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store