New to rays, heard black worms are good food for them ?

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
well I heard black wroms are great food for almost all fish and I
want to order some online do to ca't find Any aroud here but ot sure how
many pounds to order :nilly:

I am getting ready to place an order for a couple pups and they will be my first rays ( so excited!!!!) I know they are heavy eaters when adult but don't know what to expect out of them when they are little .

I also have foud a websight that you can buy nightcrawlers and redwigglers pretty cheap would it be good to buy some of these too ?

I am just nervous , I truely care for each and every fish I have and want
them to have the best food, water conditions that anyonne could provide , thats why if I don't know something I come here and ask because I know there are thousands here that have first hand knowledge, and so I thank everyone again :)

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Blackworms are good but if the pups are already eating something else, it's usually better to just keep them eating what they're used to instead of letting them get used to blackworms. Redworms are a good choice for small rays as they're cheaper and more filling than blackworms but not as big as night crawlers, which smaller rays may be unwilling to eat initially.

Who are you getting them from? What are they telling you the pups are eating?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Blackworms are good but if the pups are already eating something else, it's usually better to just keep them eating what they're used to instead of letting them get used to blackworms. Redworms are a good choice for small rays as they're cheaper and more filling than blackworms but not as big as night crawlers, which smaller rays may be unwilling to eat initially.

Who are you getting them from? What are they telling you the pups are eating?

Black worms r good for pups and Conditioning fresh import rays. Get them on it and off it as fast as you can. Let's hope your pups will be already eat all types of foods.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
What Pete said. Also agree, where/who are you getting your pups from. Are they CB or WC? Questions like this could make a big difference on how easy the transition is to your system.
Where about from Illinois are you, I am a western neighbor.

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I would try to feed ur new pups chopped up nightcrawlers....And from there slowly ween them off of it...

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
What Pete said. Also agree, where/who are you getting your pups from. Are they CB or WC? Questions like this could make a big difference on how easy the transition is to your system.
Where about from Illinois are you, I am a western neighbor.
Thanks Everyone!

The rays I am thinking about about getting are from Ichban ( jojo) they are capitive bred and I haven't asked him yet what they are eating my wife just gave me the go ahead to place an order ( going to check and see if I can find other Fs rays also to see all options ) earlier so going to send him and text to see what they are eating now and to see what shipping would be to here .

I live in Granite City, IL
They are 5" so they are fairly young ,

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Hah, I just worked on Darren Kimble's (formerly of the St. Louis Blues ) house not to long ago over in Granite City. Haven't heard anything Negative of jojo. Just be sure of what they are eating and be prepared to feed the same when they get there. Then work them onto other foods after they settle in. Most AP to AP shipping is running between 80 and 100 bucks from east coast to midwest, depending on carrier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store