Wanting to get into Rays.

tehbatmaan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
N/A
So I have a 150 Gallon and I have been messing with it alot about what I want fish wise. Its been running forever and well established just couldnt decide what I wanted fish wise. Ive decided and want to put a ray in there with a few less aggessive S.A cichlids. Like Cupid Cichlids, EBJD, etc. I've been reading around and found alot of conflicting information. Is there a small enough ray that 2 would be happy in a 150? If not what ray would you reccomend for a 150 running solo? Filtration and water movement is not a problem. Wayyy over filtered also I have wavemakers moving water around.

David

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Sadly there are no freshwater rays that will be happy in an 18" wide tank for life. If you start as a small pup you can expect 1 or 2 years depending on species before you need to think about upgrading. If it is a 24" wide 150 you can get a lot longer out of it before an upgrade may be eventually needed depending on species and sex of the ray.

Some details on the filtration may also be helpful, Many people are caught off guard by the amount of filtration just one ray can require.

You can get a ton of great info by reading through the sticky section. Feel free to ask any questions you still have, if I can't help you I am sure someone on this forum can :)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Sadly there are no freshwater rays that will be happy in an 18" wide tank for life. If you start as a small pup you can expect 1 or 2 years depending on species before you need to think about upgrading. If it is a 24" wide 150 you can get a lot longer out of it before an upgrade may be eventually needed depending on species and sex of the ray.

Some details on the filtration may also be helpful, Many people are caught off guard by the amount of filtration just one ray can require.

You can get a ton of great info by reading through the sticky section. Feel free to ask any questions you still have, if I can't help you I am sure someone on this forum can :)
Agreed, a 24" wide footprint 150 will work for retics or Hystrix. Although I would go Hystrix or the so called Mini Marbles that are floating around.

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I would say even a 24" for life is pushing it but that's just my opinion...

tehbatmaan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
N/A
The footprint of the tank is 72" L x 24" W. I've read about a ray that supposibly tops out at 8" or is that false? Also my tank turns over roughly 12 times/hour.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
So if its 72L x 24w that would what, make it 20" tall.
I would say a Retic ray or a Hystrix ray.

And dhjr- it said even a 24" can work longer before needing to upgrade.. :)

tehbatmaan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
N/A
I thought they were legal in AZ I was going to drive there. I'm located in SoCal closest I've found is WA haha. And I dont really want any their illegal in your state talks. I've done alot more for my country then most people ever will so with the ray laws I don't really care...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store