Looking for 1st ray

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
As the title states I am looking to get my first ray. I know I want to get either a hystrix or a reticulata since they stay smaller. They will be going into a 55g growout tank until they outgrow it and will be upgraded to a 125 or possibly larger tank if I happen to come across a nice deal. Currently I am letting my tank cycle and will be running an odyssea cfs 500 of the cfs 700-uv. I was wondering which of the two species I should get and where is a good place to buy them from?

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I would not jump into ray keeping unless you have a solid plan for having at least a 24" wide tank in the near future.

I am not a huge fan of canisters for ray tanks just because you will have to clean the mechanical portion quite often.

Retics are much easier to find but I would just read through the sticky section and do your research and go with the ray you like better because you will be caring for it for a long time. Just remember "smaller" freshwater rays is a relative term and they still create a huge bioload. If I had to guess I would say one 10" motoro easily creates as much Nitrate as 3-4 10-12" P-bass

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
55 is too small even for a baby ray.
125 is too small for a year old ray.
cfs 500 is too small.

With rays the key is to think big. Really big. Keeping rays is not a cheap endeavor and you can't cheap out on tanks and equipment, Then too, feeding rays is really not cheap. I have two 60lb dogs and my rays are much more expensive to feed than my dogs.

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
Well I was doing research and looking at the growths that people have had with their retics and hystrix rays and most of them have had a growth rate of 1" a year, so the 125 would be good for one of these rays for a couple years before I have the time to build my pond

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Well I was doing research and looking at the growths that people have had with their retics and hystrix rays and most of them have had a growth rate of 1" a year, so the 125 would be good for one of these rays for a couple years before I have the time to build my pond
Just do what work for you for right now. But the bigger tank the better. Try tcup and see how that goes before trying a hystrix. Tcup r easy to care for in most case and they dnt cost much.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
He was meaning a Retic ray.
T-cup is the general term (a term I hate now) for a ray under a certain size..
But the LFS sale what they call a tea cup ray.. Most are really Retic rays.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
1" a year? It's wrong but if you've found a post that makes you feel better about it, doesn't look like you're going to be told otherwise.

Teacup is like saying puppy. You can have a chihuahua puppy and a great dane puppy. They're very different puppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store