09/13/2011 with pictures/prices on first page, more to come....

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
First of all, I just returned from my trip of fish collecting and lost some of the rarest fish known to myself during the trip. Pretty bummed...hopefully there is a next time.

What I do have imported into the US, and some of my updated collectors fish will be posted.

First 2 for all the extreme catfish lovers, these are a must and cannot miss.

1. Leiocassis longirostris this is the long snout shark catfish, is one of the famous iconic Yangtze River fish, found more in tributaries. During extreme cold weathers, the fish will turn completely white. It is peacful towards other fish, but will eat smaller fish, max size of 60 cm. The ones I have for sell are 2.5", eating pellets and of course any frozen food. $35.00 each. I'll post several pictures of the adults that I saw along the Yangtze for sell as food and look at the mouth, makes you really appreciate the predatory nature of this catfish
leiocassis 1.jpg
.leiocassis3.jpg

leiocassis 2.jpg
2. Pelteobagrus ussuriensis from the Ussuri River in Russia, hence the name. I've kept a large one about 24" in my tank with clown loaches and other barbs for over one year already. The head is like that of a deep water sea creature, blunted, downwardpointing, with a extra LP extension on the tail like an eel. Its like no other South American Catfish you'll ever see, gets to the maximum size of 40" in the wild. The ones I am offering for the first time are 3" long, eating pellets and frozen alike. $35.00 each. I don't know what the growth rate is like for the smaller ones. My large one is kept in 80 degree water with no problems at all. The adults are almost jet black with a pinkish mouth. Wish I could take a good picture to showcase the fish. Here is a picture of a semi adult from a friend of mine.

____.jpg

the true Albino Clown knife fish, not brown, but pink ones. Not rare in the wild, incredible show fish as adults, easy to raise. My last one that 14" was eating smelt out of my hand until it got killed by another big fish. 6" $100.00 each.

chitala 1.jpg

Leptobotia elongata 7" plus, super fat, these are 3x larger than all the small ones I sold in thhe past. Regrettably these are wild, and it goes against my conscience a bit to sell them. It is the nature of the game, as they've been collected and if not sold by myself, they'd be sold by someone else. The good news is they're actually finding some wild ones as previously in the past few years they've been scarce. Wild ones are like wild clownloaches, or rays, you don't know what their true age is, they're much thicker and more colorful. These come from a Yangtze tributary, as earlier this year I went to another part of the Yangtze and they've not seen the fish for years. I'm still on the search to see a wild 30" plus one! $250.00 each for these incredible beauties. I've been to China 4 times in the past 2 years, trying to find these fish, understand these fish. Their future is still very uncertain as most of the main river is dammed and polluted. My moral disclaimer: I feel bad for these fish, but consider this, all clown loaches being sold today are still all wild as well, and so are all the nice big plecos, which take years to mature. The aquarium hobby doesn't deplete the fish stock in the wild, but larger govermental projects, commercial fishery does.
elongata 2.jpg

Rhinogobius zhoui, named after my friend ZH, recently described 2 years ago as a new specie. Found in a remote area in Guangxi Province, from a very pristine habitat. Max size is 2.5", very peaceful towards other fish, can be bred in the aquarium. They cannot catch enough to sell, the locals electric shock the river for small fish to eat, I know because I was there and even ate a few to show respect, it was not enjoyable. The people are however very generous and hospitable, they offered what they had from their humble home, they sleep on matts over dirt floor. The fish will not deplete from hobby collection but from over fishing for food since the habitat is small. $100 per pair, I have about 4 pairs available. They mature in 6 months and can breed readily in aquariums. Pictured is my fish from last year. Females are less colorful. Can handle most temperatures, eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths. The males I'm selling are already colored up, at about 1.25"
rhinogobius 1.jpg

Doing my part for conservation:
Pterophyllum altum, F2 of these true altum angels, same breeder that bred the "bahia" peacock bass, I visited his facility and his breeding groups of this fish. His F2 fish are all 10-12" tall, gorgeous needless to say. These fish are raised and kept in tap water, ph of 7.5, eating anything frozen, disease free, hardy as any angelfish. He was sold out of them, he sold me just a few he was holding back. I only have 6 available. $35.00 each.

altum 1.jpg

Doing my part for conservation 2: Spinibarbus denticulatus-the pheonix barb, google this name and you'll only find 2,3 pictures. These are captive bred fish about 1.5" long, grows fast, can reach 16" in less than one year. Max size about 20" can live with all fish, masheers, barbs, or other larger fish. Peaceful fish, its like a giant melon barb, red runs from the face down the body which gets a nice green tint. You can keep it out door and this fish will winter fine in California, and will get dark green colors on the body. This fish is from Guangdong province, was hunted to near extinction for food, its still not stable in the wild, you'll almost never see a wild one. $25.00 each.
spinibarbus 1.jpg

Less conservation: Spinibarbus hollandi, this fish is wild, endemic to Taiwan, one of the 2 "mahseers" type fish, one in Taiwan, and one found in China, Tor sinensis. This fish is protected in Taiwan, but collected on occasions by local fisherman still. This fish is nearly identical to tor putitora, slender mahseer from India. Jumps, gets huge, aboutu 36" plus, bright yellow paired fins, predatory. Its pretty rare actually, and I was only able to get 9 of them.
3-4" $35.00 each, 6" $75.00 each, only 2 this size.
spinibarbus hollandi.jpg

SOLD OUT!!!!
Epinephelus lanceolata-bumble bee grouper, that bright yellow grouper I kept in the store before. The controversy. Well here it is, I will keep these in light brackish water, and they can live happy for years, eagerly begging for food like a puppy. yes, its a magnificent creature deserving the best, 10000 gallons would not be big compared to the ocean where it thrives. Jeremy Wade did catch a 50 pounder out of a river in Queensland, far from the ocean. It will eat anything that it can fit in its mouth up to 50% of its own body size and weight. For conservation, these fish are captive bred, and not wild, will eat from your hand. They will be destined for restaruants in Hong Kong and China if not in my fish tank. In the wild, the survival rate is low probably 1 out of 10,000 eggs will make it to adulthood, so any day in my fish tank is better than dying as a larvae in the ocean. This fish can reach 10 feet long in the wild, but almost never does. Can reach 5-6 feet usually before being speared by some "noble" spearfisherman. From my experience it can reach 20" in the first year if fed a lot, or 15" if fed less in the aquarium under brackish conditions. Mine lived for 4 years then died when transferring it to a friends tank, it felt like it weight 20 pounds, I had a hard time lifting it above my head to the tank with some water in the bag. Also for people who have something to say, well, keeping pacus are cruel, arapaima, dogs that are neutered, and many other fish, and pets., as they're all here for our enjoyment, whether consumed or used to adorn our living rooms, mounted or alive. Enough ranting, 3" $150.00 each.
grouper1.jpg
Here are some pictures from before, and people are always asking what it is.
grouper group.jpggrouper with oscar.jpg

Murray cod-Maccullochella peelii
These giants are one of the largest freshwater perch fish in Australia, tolerates a wide range of water parameters. Grows to over 5 feet long, will learn to take smelt, now they're small at 1.5" $65.00, grows fast, eats well. Rare in the US hobby, this is a true freshwater grouper like giant with an appetite to match! Limited quantities available.
murray cod.jpg

L0600 Pseudacanthicus leopardus captive bred babies $65.00 each <---sold out.

leiocassis 2.jpg

leiocassis 1.jpg

leiocassis3.jpg

____.jpg

chitala 1.jpg

elongata 2.jpg

rhinogobius 1.jpg

altum 1.jpg

spinibarbus 1.jpg

spinibarbus hollandi.jpg

grouper1.jpg

grouper with oscar.jpg