---Attention p14 owners--- heavy breathing??

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i have had a pair of p14 pups that are a couple of months old. I have noticed they are breathing pretty heavy, especially after feeding. The male seems to raise the front of his disc while breathing heavy. especially the male does not seem very active either..This has been going on since i got them about 5 weeks ago. I am stressing out.

Now i am noticing the male is only eating a couple of small pieces of worms, while the female is smaller and eats 2-3 times as much.
I have always said if the ray is eating they are fine, but they just don't seem right... i may just be paranoid, but don't think so,

Any suggestions, preferably from someone with experience with p14, and are they more sensitive. Anybody notice them breathing heavy. i have had rays for 4+ years, and have never been this concerned with pups before.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
best if you show the video you showed me as the lifting of the front disk is normal but the breathing is hard

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Have you tried salt? It helped relax my stressed rays... and can you increase the O2 levels in any way?

You know what you're doing, so I'm worried for you too.

I hope this is just a temporary stress related issue.

Mike

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i have not tried salt... i personalty dont like using it.. i guess i should try a small dose. It may make a difference... thanks for the help!

I have added a couple of air stones to the Q tank they are in, but the main tank i moved him to (the one in the video) has plenty of o2, so that is what is throwing me off, it is not only happening in the smaller Q tank, but also in my main tank.

I am thinking of not feeding the tank they are in today, maybe he is stopped up from too much nightcrawler feeding :)
he was eating a ton!

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
My WC leos were stressed a lot when I was first getting them settled in,...I finally tried a bag of Solar salt and dumped a whole 40 lb bag into 1000 gallons over about an 8 hour period...ALL of my rays became more active...they liked it.

What about dropping temp a bit instead of raising it since it would slow the metabolism and allow the water to hold more O2...just a thought....

Mike

digginrays

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
lake norman
my adults will do that from time to time.especially after eating a big meal. the super fast breathing in one of your videos is very excessive in my experience. i have never seen them breathe that fast.i know i am not being any help (sorry) but i am not so sure theres actually a problem.i will try a video of my male. he does it all the time.

by the way.my adult p14 LOVE salt. they will play in it as long as its present in its fine white form in the bottom of the tank.my bd's run from it, my p14 play in it.go figure:)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
my adults will do that from time to time.especially after eating a big meal. the super fast breathing in one of your videos is very excessive in my experience. i have never seen them breathe that fast.i know i am not being any help (sorry) but i am not so sure theres actually a problem.i will try a video of my male. he does it all the time.

by the way.my adult p14 LOVE salt. they will play in it as long as its present in its fine white form in the bottom of the tank.my bd's run from it, my p14 play in it.go figure:)
I thought salt granuals and rays was a big no no, that it would burn them? Sorry Keep can't help out but hope all is well with them. I will say that my last BD/Leo breathed this way because I had the temp at 85 as recommended. I reduced temp and did a water change to lower it she almost immediately slowed. I know that probably doesn't help in your case.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I just went through some similar breathing irregularities in my juvie tank. I thought dripping 100+ gallons a day was enough to shy away from waterchanges. WRONG. Did a 75% and everyone perked up. Removed the ray that was stressing everyone (horny Pearl) and problem solved.

Drip filters up to snuff? Whenever I doubt anything mine get swapped out.

Good luck man!!!! Hope it goes well....

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Have well water. Drip straight to tank..
Moved them from main tank back to the small Q tank with no drip to prevent stress and to monitor easier.

They are now in a small tank alone, been doing h2o changes daily.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store