Datnoid with Cloudy Eye

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
I have a 420gallon aquarium with 20 datnoids (IT, ST, NGT, NTT). 2 days ago I noticed half of them were starting to develop a cloudiness to there eye. Really, just the outside of the eye. I did a 60% water change immediately and added salt (not full dosage). The next day I noticed that they all had cloudy eyes and it was getting worse. I added more salt (to match the 1 lb per 100 gal rule of thumb). I will be doing another big water change tonite. I was thinking that I should medicate, but I really wanted to stay away from Meds. Any medication suggestions?

I've had this tank for a long time and the only things that have changed are the additions of two new fish from two different tanks. I thought it may have been ammonia poisoning at first, but I'm leaning toward a bacterial infection right now that may have some with the new fish.

THOUGHTS?????

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
For bacterial infections I have treated fish with oxollinic acid in buckets. 4 gallons of water, 1 tiny scoop of acid (dissolved in a cup first), and 2 caps of amquel. Leave them in for up to 5 days. This is my boss' general antibiotic treatment for fresh and saltwater fish and I have seen mixed results depending on the illness. I haven't tried it on any disease like yours though. Tetracycline antibiotics may be useful too.

If it looks like it's just on the outside of the eye you may be able to get away with doing a simple hydrogen peroxide bath.

But I want to see what other people recommend too.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
My 2 cents, before medicating, test your water. Are the parameters in check? What are your readings? Also check all your filters..... you mentioned you've had this tank for a long time.... sometimes tanks like this develop old tank syndrome..... even while doing water changes religiously, "dirty" filtration systems can create havoc in a tank..... check all canisters, sock filters, sponges, etc....

If any of your parameters are off, do 20%-40% water changes daily..... if the cloudy eye is due to water parameters being off, you need to keep the water column extra clean..... daily water changes for about a week (in my experience).

Is your temp ok? Consistent? Sudden changes in temp can/may cause this.

Salt is a good idea.....if you do water changes, remember to replace the amount being taken out.

If bacterial infection is then suspect, triple sulfa has worked for me in the past. Since you have a huge tank, buy in bulk (big jar).... dr foster & smith.... hopefully it will not come to this......

Reactions: the animal guy

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
My 2 cents, before medicating, test your water. Are the parameters in check? What are your readings? Also check all your filters..... you mentioned you've had this tank for a long time.... sometimes tanks like this develop old tank syndrome..... even while doing water changes religiously, "dirty" filtration systems can create havoc in a tank..... check all canisters, sock filters, sponges, etc....

If any of your parameters are off, do 20%-40% water changes daily..... if the cloudy eye is due to water parameters being off, you need to keep the water column extra clean..... daily water changes for about a week (in my experience).

Is your temp ok? Consistent? Sudden changes in temp can/may cause this.

Salt is a good idea.....if you do water changes, remember to replace the amount being taken out.

If bacterial infection is then suspect, triple sulfa has worked for me in the past. Since you have a huge tank, buy in bulk (big jar).... dr foster & smith.... hopefully it will not come to this......
Thanks guys.

Temperatures remain between 81-83 F. Filtration: 4 x 2262 and a huge W/D filter. I do not think the filtration is a problem, but I will double check everything. As far as parameters, I was planning on checking everything when I got home today from work. I will keep the salt dosage at 1 lb per 100 gallons unless someone else has another dosage that has worked for them in the past. Other tankmates include rays, aros, and cats. Everyone else seems just fine. The dats are even eating okay, it's just hard for them to see the food with their eyes in such poor condition.

addisonlee25

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
california
I would just keep with the salt and clean water method. In the past when I've had cloudy eye issues to was due to water quality. Now I use salt all the time and replenish every water change.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Just checked the water parameters. Everything looks great. Not to say that this was the case when I first started noticing the cloudy eye because I've done one large water change. But, as of right now the pH is good @ 7.8, no ammonia (0), nitrite (0), or nitrate (<5ppm).

Addison, do you always add salt? What type? NaCl? Magnesium Sulfate (Epson Salt)? What are your normal dosage rates?

I am treating with NaCl (table salt)... I went to Home Depot and bought a 40# bag of Diamond Crystal Solar Salt (blue bag) for like $4 that I will use once I use up all my girlfriend's table salt :)

addisonlee25

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
california
Yup ever since I started using salt I've had no problems with any of my fish....I just got a large pbass the other day with BAD cloudy eye on both sides...after acclimating to my tank which always has salt, it cleared up in about 3 days. I use Mortons White Crystal Solar Salt...cheap pretty much he same as what you got from home depot. I started dosing what API recommended, 1Tablespoon for every 5 gallons. I think I've upped the dosage just a hair though. I replenish every water change. also keep in mind salt doesn't evaporate along with your water so ie. if your water level is low due to evap the salt you added is still there.

Reactions: the animal guy

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I've never used any sort of table salt for fish...only aquarium salt or sea salt (for marine tanks, e.g. instant ocean, reef crystals, etc..). I guess it's fine though. Just missing some of the salts other than NaCl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store