Frontosa and Rays = FAIL

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
So, I moved my Frontosa Colony from their tiny cramped 150 to the 240. I then left my 2 adult rays, and the pup that has been tearing up the other pups in the 240 as well.

We do 50% water changes every other day... water params checked every day... and fed every day.

Well, my frontosa keep dying. So far I have lost 4. And 2 of them were from this morning.

I can not figure out why? There are NO marks on them. Slime coat is in tact. Stomach looks fine. No scales or eyes protruding...

This is really pissing me off. I've watched this tank, and the rays and fronts don't even bother each other. They each do their own thing. Even when feeding, they get fed on opposite sides of the tank.

At first when the first 2 died, I thought maybe they are just getting old because I am their 3rd owner, and the 1st owner I was told had them as babies, and they are full grown adults.. but I had one in my 4 yr old group that I bought separately die as well. :cry:

All barbs on rays are fully intact as well.

JC_P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
T.O
What's your Ph reading? If the water is too soft for the fronts, they'll start dying off. I had a similar thing happen to my cyprichromis.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ph is 7.4 it never changes. This is the PH that I have always kept my fronts in. Even when I had 2" fry. My PH is stable and never fluctuates.

JC_P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
T.O
Ph is 7.4 it never changes. This is the PH that I have always kept my fronts in. Even when I had 2" fry. My PH is stable and never fluctuates.
Can't be that then. The other value of concern I guess would be water hardness, total carbonate hardness; level of calcium in the water?! I don't really know how it's measured, but hopefully someone here will.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Can't be that then. The other value of concern I guess would be water hardness, total carbonate hardness; level of calcium in the water?! I don't really know how it's measured, but hopefully someone here will.
Well, I have had the fronts for over 2 years, and they didn't start dying until I moved them to this tank. No other fish have died in this tank, so I am assuming it has to do with the rays.

Maybe the fronts are nipping at their barbs and getting stung in the mouth or something?

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
The rays could be topping them at night and suffocating them but I kind of doubt it, more than likely it is just stress from the move

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Stress from the move? they have been in this tank for over 2 months now. Why would they just now be dying?

When I brought them home they were transferred for over for 2 hours.. their total move here took 5 mins with a bucket.

vila_82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Wisconsin
Do they breath heavy?? Have the rays ever had any internal parasites that could be in the water? Are/Were they eating good?

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
No, they don't breathe heavy.

The rays were treated several times for internals when I got them, but that was in another tank.

Everyone is eating fine. Big appetites, and get fed every night.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
How do u do your waterchanges?

U Use prime?

U use aged water?

Whats yor tap params compared to your tank params?

U are saying that nothing has changed but clearly something is being overlooked

Im surprised the rays arent picking on the fish after they are dead too...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store