calgary
Potamotrygon .Boesemani

Common Names: Emperor ray or Boesemani

Distribution: Suriname ,location?

Maximum Size (Disc Width): Not enough data

Juvenile Tank Footprint: 60"x18"

Adult Tank Footprint: 96"x36"+

Feeding Habits:
The potamotrygon boesemani has very good eating habbit.from the few specimens that have been exported all owners have reported they are very agressive eaters once acclimated and tank mates should be selected carefully due to the extreme levels of agression during feedings.

Info:
This very new species of ray has no data and nothing more is know about them besides their location of collection in suriname.At first glance one my think its a motoro variant.This species has many different distinguishing features that are not traits of the motoro variants.The build of this ray is very muscular and beefy with a very large head and spiricles.As for adult size no full grown specimens have been collected since these only came into the trade in 2009.The tail spines are unique as their three seperate rows of spines one on top and one down each side on the bottom side of the tale as seen in the diagram below,which looks to be a evolutionary defense mechanism and runs from the base of the tail all the way to the end of the tail.
boesemanispineddrawing.png
mynewboesemani.jpg

boesemani 021.JPG

View attachment 709963

boesemanispineddrawing.png

boesemani 021.JPG

mynewboesemani.jpg

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
My motoro has tail spines in the middle and down the sides so I guess that isn't a trait exclusively to Boesemani.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
No offense, but maybe a profile should be created once there is enough material and understanding about this species...

their many rays that have profiles that are less known than boesemani on this site.boesemani diserves a profile on this site.

and that picture of the motoro what is it hybridized with?
i have kept many motoro and never seen big rows of spine like yours down the sides of the tail.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
My motoro has tail spines in the middle and down the sides so I guess that isn't a trait exclusively to Boesemani.

thats a motoro x pearl.i cant remember exactly the spine pattern on my pearls tails but i do remember their tails were covered in spines.does anybody have a pure pearl they can take a look at right now and let me know???

and yes just like your motoxpearl except the spines on the side of your motoxpearls tail start about 1/3 down from the base of the tail.the boesemanis start right at the base and even some onto the disc just around the base of the tail.

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
Quite a unique specimen, I have not seen this spine pattern in motoros before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store