Java Wood for aquarium driftwood?

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
Have you used it?
What were the results?
I've googled the crap out of "java wood in aquariums" and any iteration of that with little results.

LFS says its aquarium/pond safe. I've known the owner for 15 years and trust him but would like others experience.

I have a few pieces and soaked it for several days and put it in the tank. Bacteria love this stuff and its grown slimy fur all over it. I've been told it's harmless, and will eventually go away. Fish mind none and my minnow nibble on it all day.

Just looking for input as Java wood is really neat looking and very dense; so far seems to work well for driftwood aside from the aforementioned bacteria explosion.

My tank is 125gal with an American Eel, 1 Bullhead catfish, one Largemouth and minnow for food.

jdhuegel1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick MD
So - as an update:

The Javawood is awesome. Took a while to sink, and bacteria growth has mostly died off. Starting to look pretty good:

JavaWood.jpg

JavaWood.jpg

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
neat looking, never herd herd of java wood...what is it?

KBMack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
United Kingdom
A piece of it killed one of my fish. I put it in my main tank (after i was told it was safe to put straight in there) i woke up the next morning and the water was cloudy as hell, my nicaraguan was dead and all my other fish where at the top of the tank gasping for air.

KBMack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
United Kingdom
I`ve just done a bit of googleing on this wood and it said that after tobacco, coffee is the most heavily sprayed with pesticidies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've used a number of pieces of Java wood in freshwater tanks (for years now) with zero issue. In my case I simply presoaked the wood in a rubbermaid tub, changing the water every few days until the water remained clear, and the wood began to sink.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Large pieces, in 6ft tanks. A friend has a few massive pieces in his 300 gallon tank, also purchased at the local pet store. Again, no issues with any of his fish, and he keeps some uber expensive fish.

Hard to say what happened in your case, but presoaking/rinsing is always a good idea, no matter the wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store