Frontosa tank mates?

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I have had my big Front alone in a 125 for about a year. He is not afraid of me so I fear he will bully anything with him.

Any ideas on possible tank mates? Maybe a gar or two?

signde

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
add some rocks for hiding and then some comps? they look nothing like him so maybe he won't bother them?

don't have a lot of experience with big fronts but i have seen others do it.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Other frontosas (they do well in groups of 5 or more I heard, but that would be pushing it since your tank is a 125g so I would say maybe 3 or 4 fronts?), clown loaches, most of the lake malawi hap cichlids, calvus, compressiceps, a gar could work but I'm not sure

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
add some rocks for hiding and then some comps? they look nothing like him so maybe he won't bother them?

don't have a lot of experience with big fronts but i have seen others do it.
I was once told adult fronts eat comps in the wild. lol. Otherwise I agree the tempraments are a good match, calvus, they do great with aggressive fish without adding to the ambient tank rage. How big is the Front?? 12 inches??

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Other fronts would be your best bet.... comps and calvus are also nice tank mates - usually you won't have a problem but I have heard of a few situations where it does not work out (which can be with anything).

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I was once told adult fronts eat comps in the wild. lol. Otherwise I agree the tempraments are a good match, calvus, they do great with aggressive fish without adding to the ambient tank rage. How big is the Front?? 12 inches??
He is a little over 12 inches. Calvus are an idea I had not thought of.

DustyBZoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2010
Southern Indiana
I've got a large front that would not tolerate any other fronts. I put in a bunch of peacocks and he ignores them...

Fishaholicc

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2011
LOS ANGELES
More fronts will work. My fronts are housed w/ haps and peacocks and get along just fine. The only down side of your tank is that I don't know how your Frontosa will react when introduced w/ other fronts. When I add new fronts w/ old fronts they were going at it for the couple days but they settled pretty nicely (no fish were really harmed).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store