... eating issues?

Katatonic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
toronto, Ontario, CA
has anyone else had this issue...

my one ray has been happily munching on anything I give her... but a few nights ago I guess she had an issue with one tough ***** of a worm...

and the best I can describe it, is you know when someones eating spagettii and then sneezes. the noodle sticks out their nose and their mouth, and they could floss with it.

well she had the worm hanging out her mouth and one out her breathing apparatus on the left side

i didnt see how it happened. but I found her like that because she was violently thrashing around the tank and everything else was hiding as she violently flew back n forth fighting with this.
I panicked and tried to see if i could snag the worm with my tongs.. but I couldn't she was going too fast and I didnt want to stress her more or get stung.. so I put the tongs down and sat down infront of the tank to look up and see she managed to spit the worm up...

it sat mangled in the middle of the tank while she retreated to the bubbles off the airstone... but then 2 min later she tried munching on it again... but this time slower than ive ever seen her munch away.

since then she's gone back to her normal pounce and munch on everything self.. but .. .is it normal for this to happen sometimes? has anyone else had this happen?
should I be concerned...

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Rays can eat through there spiracles (breathing apparatus), its normal to sometimes see a worm coming out. When I used to feed blackworms some of my more timid rays would stay buried and just suck the worms in as they floated by. Sounds like your girl had a bit of trouble with the worm but is fine now, nothing to worry about.

revo18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2011
USA
Yes, this happened to me and I kind of freaked out as well. After that I have been "chopping" the nightcrawlers. No problems now.

Katatonic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
toronto, Ontario, CA
she's never had issues before, with even bigger worms... thats why I was so worried... but yea thank you!! I will be cutting them up for her from now on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store