Filtration for my 500

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
hi everybody. this will turn into a build thread after i decide which way to go with filtration.
i use to have a reef tank and took it down about a month ago. the electrical costs were killing me. i do have most of my equipment left from the reef. i'm not completely new to the hobbie as i did have my reef for almost 10 years and before that i had an africian cichlid tank.

fish i want- Arowana, south americian cichlids, oscars, catfish and ? (thoughts?)

i will have a gravel bed, drift wood and tunze 6200's for circulation.

filtration options that i have thought of:

1-no filter at all and just do about 100 gallon water change per day. i have well water and do not plan on adjusting pH or hardness. heating the tank might be an issue here?

2-use my Aquaclear canister filter with 100um cartridge and carbon dirven by a Mag 18. i have all this stuff already :)

3-use my sump, bioballs and filter socks. we have frequent power outages so i am worried about bioballs getting dry and bacteria dying with this option, they usually last less than an hour but i have had 4 hour outages :(. this will also be noisy, my wife hates that!!!!

4-buy Aqua UV Ultima II filter and drive it with a Ampmaster 3000 or 2100 pump i already have. has anybody used one of these? are they as easy to clean as they say? do they keep the water clear?

last question- should i get a UV sterilizer? why?

lots of questions, i know, sorry

thanks for your help,
rob

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
UV sterilizer is not needed. Of course this is just my opinion but I never used one and my fish are fine.

The no filter option is appealing if you have the water supply for it. I set up a trickle system in my 450 and my 360 and I love it! My fish are growing, we just finished a very hot summer here in Phoenix and my tank temperatures got into the high 80’s. My fish were eating like mad! Resulting in mad pooping! I ended up tweaking my trickle to 2 gallons an hour for both tanks (2X24=48 48X7=336 gallons per week per tank) Doing all this in one water change would of stressed out my fish maybe even killed them but over a week the fish don’t notice. Water stayed clean in the tank. I still have filters for mechanical filtration and they are helping keep the water crystal clear. My water supply is not affected by power outages so that’s an added bonus, not sure about your well/pump situation. That might be a limiter for you unless you have a reservoir on the roof or something?

Good luck! You’re going to love the fresh water simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
i like the idea of a trickle and having a continous change. i was thinking of using a timer with a spinkler valve and doing 15 minutes at a time 4 or 6 times/day. i can see an advantage to the trickle way as far as heating is concerned. i'm in Montana so heating is more of an issue that cooling. i heat 11 months and cool one and that was with my 4-400 watt Halides running.
i have a tank that keeps water flowing when there is a power outage but it only holds about 50 gallons and when it's dry so is my house....

what do you use to polish your water?

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I still have filters for mechanical filtration and they are helping keep the water crystal clear.

Good luck! You’re going to love the fresh water simplicity and ease of maintenance.

thanks. i just read your 450 thread. do you still have the bioballs in your sump? what do you have in your canister fliters? obviously you are doing it right!!!! thanks

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
thanks. i just read your 450 thread. do you still have the bioballs in your sump? what do you have in your canister fliters? obviously you are doing it right!!!! thanks
Yeah I still have the bio-ball set up in my sump, they don't need maintenance and the sump is a great place to put your drain for the trickle system. Also the added water capacity in the sump is nice and sumps are a great place to hide heaters. The canister filter has the typical filter cartridge that comes with the unit. I think it's 100 micron or something? So you really can't get away from the filtration part but you can significantly reduce your maintenance activities with the trickle system.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
i ordered bulk heads and a 2 3/8" drill bit from Glass-holes today. now i just have to figure out how to keep the glass and bit cool while i drill the end of my tank. it will be verticle so i can't use a plumbers putty dam.... any suggestions?

Palm Tree

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
England
i ordered bulk heads and a 2 3/8" drill bit from Glass-holes today. now i just have to figure out how to keep the glass and bit cool while i drill the end of my tank. it will be verticle so i can't use a plumbers putty dam.... any suggestions?
Get someone to spray water at it while you drill ?

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
Get someone to spray water at it while you drill ?

that's the plan so far. i'm a little nervous to do this drilling job. i suppose if i go really really slow it should be fine. my glass is 3/4" thick, would you drill outside in or inside out?

rob

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
Egon u have a very creative way of drawing up a filtration system lol...I wish you were in person to help me with mine...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store