Alligator Gar developing something strange... never seen this before

Aquascaperr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
United States of America
My alligator gar's scales recently started turning white and spreading rapidly on top of this he stopped eating. His snout has also turned white and almost looks like its cracking its the most bizarre thing I've ever seen and can't seem to figure out what it is. Anyone else ever have a similar situation. It almost looks like hes molting (I know hes not) as ridiculous as that sounds.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
You would probably get more responses by posting this in the gar forum, in the ancient fish section.

A gator gar I recently got came with a similar sounding condition. To treat bump the temp up to 82F. Do 50% waterchanges either daily or ever other day. And add some aquarium salt as per the dosing on the package.

If you could get a picture it would help as well. Could you also give some information about tank size, water parameters and tankmates, etc.

xionglue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
Minnesota
It could probably be a sickness called "ick," it usually irritates the fish and causes it to usually rub itself on the driftwood or else on the garvel.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
sounds like slime sloughing due to sucking from a tankmate (any plecos or synos in the tank? prochilodus?) or a bacterial infection related to it or starting from other sources. it's not ich. treat as listed above, and remove any slime-sucking tankmates. pic would solve the issue of diagnosis for sure--
--SRD

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Agree with Solomon... if there is no slime-sucking fish, did the gator jump from the tank/pod recently or maybe hit the lid really hard... seems like a slime coat issue. It will be sensitive for a period but should come back fine. Just keep water clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store