Jewel Cichlid Question

Hellman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Rotterdam
Okay I bought some jewels as chase fish for my Cuban Cichlid pair and they laid eggs after only a week of having them. I thought they were both male butI guess not. Is this gonna mess with my cuban pair and how long does it take for the eggs to hatch for the jewels

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
What size of tank and fish are in the tank jewels can be brutal if they are close to the same size it may be trouble

lostnight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2006
Dayton, Ohio, USA
I think there is a decent chance they will all do ok for a while. If the jewels do breed in a 135, I doubt they will defend the whole fish tank, just the territory near the nest. With that size diference, I would say Cubans will have the overall upperhand.

jay_leask

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
canada
jewel are very territorial i had a pair that spawned and they had 3 of my oscars hiding in one corner of my tank. my oscars were around 10".

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
^ lol

Yep. Jewels are like African Convicts... spawn easily and from a very young age. I see them breeding in those 10 gal LFS tanks all the time :grinyes:

keket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
canada
Jewels... just add water.

They get super aggresive when protecting there work in progress be it egg form to fry. The Jewel cichlids are pretty good parents and can have a few hundred babies in one nesting. They can pick them off there young as they get older too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store