Are STs breeding in captivity now?

Aro_addict

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hawaii
ive been seeing more and more small STs recently. Me and a lfs owner that im close with were talking about it because i asked once upon a time if i could order a small ST at the time said was impossible. Anyone wanna confirm if its possible now?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can't confirm it but I highly doubt it....There are a few threads on this already for you to check out when you get around to it and the two schools of thought are that these small ST are in fact selectively picked microlepis and not pulchers at all.The other theory is that these fish are actually pulchers but are being collected from another area besides the Chao Phraya river.

Aro_addict

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hawaii
I can't confirm it but I highly doubt it....There are a few threads on this already for you to check out when you get around to it and the two schools of thought are that these small ST are in fact selectively picked microlepis and not pulchers at all.The other theory is that these fish are actually pulchers but are being collected from another area besides the Chao Phraya river.
The first theory is what my friend agrees with. He told me their probably high priced 3 bar ITs. But I would love to get one to see what it was. But my lfs wouldn't recommend it lol because he doesn't want to rip me off haha

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like a good guy at the store,he's looking out for you...It's up to you though,of course.If you see the fish and like what you see and you can handle the price then give one a try.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You compare these small STs and those big STs from the past, don't they look exactly the same?
They are not captive bred, if yes, they should be everywhere by now
Some skeptics say that they do not look the same and if they were captive bred they would be everywhere by now only if enough of them were being produced.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if the price was better i would buy them even knowing they were 3 bar IT as some look nice

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
if the price was better i would buy them even knowing they were 3 bar IT as some look nice
I agree, I am not a huge fan of Dats, like some people are, but I love the look of a nice 15+ Dat in a tank, so if these so called ST wannabees were price a little better, i'd buy one..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store