Sculpin Help

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
i just received a freshwater sculpin today. :grinyes: i belive its a mottled. was wondring if anybody has had any experience with this native. any advice would help!

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
^_^ yes they do!..that is part of why i like them so much.allot of her pics remind me of a Lion fish!
any questions just let me know i would be glad to help!

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
^_^ yes they do!..that is part of why i like them so much.allot of her pics remind me of a Lion fish!
any questions just let me know i would be glad to help!
Thanx! i read you whole thread. n it helped alot. got a 55 gal gona putting him n tomarrow. tank mates will b 2 senegal bichirs, med. anglefish, few male guppies, and 8 in pleco. the lil guy is only bout an inch or inch and a half. make sure i post pics when i get him switched over!

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
Thanx! i read you whole thread. n it helped alot. got a 55 gal gona putting him n tomarrow. tank mates will b 2 senegal bichirs, med. anglefish, few male guppies, and 8 in pleco. the lil guy is only bout an inch or inch and a half. make sure i post pics when i get him switched over!

mm...what temp do you plan on keeping them all at?..the sculpin will need colder than most of those fish will be comfortable in.
it will eat the guppies as well.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
mm...what temp do you plan on keeping them all at?..the sculpin will need colder than most of those fish will be comfortable in.
it will eat the guppies as well.
right now it stays in the low 70's and not worried bout the guppies at all. figured my 4" sens would've tried eating them by now! But i figured tht temp would be ok right? and since its small enough figured it would adjust to the warmer waters in the summer. they dont get more than 80. tell me wht u think tho!

p.s. love ur tank set up is most of the driftwood n rocks native or did you purchase them? thinking bout redoing mine with some things from the creeks around here, but dont want to introduve a buch of parasites either... :confused:

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
right now it stays in the low 70's and not worried bout the guppies at all. figured my 4" sens would've tried eating them by now! But i figured tht temp would be ok right? and since its small enough figured it would adjust to the warmer waters in the summer. they dont get more than 80. tell me wht u think tho!

p.s. love ur tank set up is most of the driftwood n rocks native or did you purchase them? thinking bout redoing mine with some things from the creeks around here, but dont want to introduve a buch of parasites either... :confused:

Even with mine collected in the summer and being very small when collected they do not do good for any length of time with anything over 75...i had them at 75 for a few days one summer and did not do well at all..so i cooled the tank with a fan blowing down on it to keep it under 75...i would not do anything over that at all they also need high O2 in the water...so an air stone or a hang on back filter with the water lowered a bit... I think they are more tolerant of heat when they are smaller..but need cooler temps as they grow.

and the wood....the large one was given to me and is malaysian driftwood but all of the other peaces and rocks are collected by me.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
Sweet will keep tht in mind. i believe i have enough o2 got a 8" airstone and a Penquin bio-wheel 350 and already keep the water level couple inches lower b/c of the bichirs! With the wood pieces did u do anything special to them b4 u introduced them into your system??

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
Sweet will keep tht in mind. i believe i have enough o2 got a 8" airstone and a Penquin bio-wheel 350 and already keep the water level couple inches lower b/c of the bichirs! With the wood pieces did u do anything special to them b4 u introduced them into your system??

soaked them in hot water and scrubbed them clean.. the larger ones were set out to dry completely, soaked scrubbed and put in to the tank..had to weight them down with rocks for about 6 months to get them to sink

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store