Albino, Leucistic, Xanthic, Melanistic, etc. Fish

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Pics needed!

just reading through and saw neos albino knifefish, and wondered about all the types of fish that you can get as albino, or a leucistic white form. would make a good tank dont you think.

so point is, post pics up of albino / leucistic white fish, that fish is done, dont repost it. kind of wondering what we can get. if they are your fish, even better...

get the ball rolling. albino Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps and Acanthicus adonis. please post name of fish (and be specific if you know- not just albino bichir, but albino p. senegalus.)

oddball said:
Check out my thread for pic examples:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38534

Fish Coloration Terms & Definitions
This is off the top of my head. Please let me know what I've missed.

Albino: Lacking pigment.

Amelanistic: lacking melanin (black pigment).

Aposematic: Warning coloration.

Chromophores: Cells responsible for holding pigment.
Xanthophores: produce yellow pigment.
Erythrophores: produce red pigment.
Melanophores: produce black pigment (melanin).
Iridophores: Hold no color pigment but, hold highly reflective non-motile purine crystals that yield silver irridescent reflections.
Leucophores: Hold no color pigment. Motile purine crystals produce white pigment.
Cyanophores: produce blue pigment.

Erythristic: Predominantly red morph.

Flavistic: Sepia-toned background color.

Leucistic: lacking or mostly lacking chromatophores. Not a true albino (ie: colored eyes).

Melanistic: dark or near black (some markings can still be visible).

Piebald: Having patches of white.

Polymorphic: Having a natural variation within a single species. (eg: blue motoro ray is a polymorph of the standard non-blue motoro ray)

Tyrosinase-Negative Albinism: An albino whose cells lack tyrosinase (enzyme that synthesizes melanin) yielding a pale-white to creamy animal with pink eyes.

Tyrosinase-Positive Albinism: Synthesizes tyrosinase but, not melanin yielding a fawn or lavender (platinum) color.

Xanthic: Predominantly yellow color morph.

18 year old leaping albino nudist cheerleader

13.jpg

01234.JPG

pics.gif

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
davo;575649;575649 said:
just reading through and saw neos albino knifefish, and wondered about all the types of fish that you can get as albino, or a leucistic white form. would make a good tank dont you think.

so point is, post pics up of albino / leucistic white fish, that fish is done, dont repost it. kind of wondering what we can get. if they are your fish, even better...

get the ball rolling. albino Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps and Acanthicus adonis. please post name of fish (and be specific if you know- not just albino bichir, but albino p. senegalus.)
wow... im going to love this thread.... :)

Oddball - This loser posted without a pic. I'll put one in for him.

albino mosquitofish

gambusia.jpg

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
keep em coming...
that a channel cat rally? thats a fish you should have kept.
some more...
L64 varient (leucism)
and an albino ancistrus sp.

L064%20Albino-black%20eye-1.jpg

L064%20Albino-black%20eye-3.jpg

030.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store