Vermiponics - Fish, Plants, and Worms

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce you all to vermiponics. In essence vermiponics is the combination of aquaponics and well... worms.

First off let me introduce you to aquaponics. Direct from Wikipedia.
Aquaponics (pronounced: /ˈækwəˈpɒnɨks/) is a sustainable food production system that combines a traditional aquaculture (raising aquatic animals such as fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a symbiotic environment. In the aquaculture, effluents accumulate in the water, increasing toxicity for the fish. This water is led to a hydroponic system where the by-products from the aquaculture are filtered out by the plants as vital nutrients, after which the cleansed water is recirculated back to the animals. The term aquaponics is a portmanteau of the terms aquaculture and hydroponic.
Vermiponics is simply the addition of worms to an aquaponics system. Now you may be asking, "Why would we introduce worms?" Well, worms consume dead matter such as fish poo. "Why do we need that when the bacteria and plants do this as well?" Because, worms help to do it faster, they release hormones that encourage plant growth (it is also theorized that it may work with fish) as well and other bacteria that help the overall biological health of the ecosystem. When worms feed they leave behind castings which are available immediately to the plants as fertilizer. Castings contain nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, phosphates & potash. These castings release slowly, they don't cloud the water and do not harm the fish. Worms also consume the dead matter around the roots of the plants and help keep the grow bed from compacting. Most people use Red Worms.

This leads me into my story/article. I am building a vermiponics system for my 100 gallon diy plywood. Some of you all may remember the build as I posted it here as a "test" build. A vermiponics system consists of a pump or lifter to take water from the aquarium up to the grow bed. The grow bed is filled with a loose media such as pea gravel or clay pebbles etc. The water enter via a stand pipe and can be routed around the grow bed to get even distribution. Worms and plants as well as the media all work together to filter the tank water before it is returned to the aquarium in the drain phase. Once the water in the grow bed reaches it's desired depth a bell siphon (described later) drains the now filtered water back into the aquarium.

Grow Bed
IMG_20111201_195752.jpg

This is where the media, plants, worms, input, and bell siphon are located. It is placed above the aquarium to allow the bell siphon to return the filtered water to the tank. In the picture you can see the bell siphon on the left and the standpipe for the in line on the right.

The Bell Siphon
A bell siphon consists of a standpipe with a larger pipe fitted over the top of it that is drilled at the base and capped at the top.
IMG_20111201_200530.jpg
Here is a picture of the bulkhead fitting and standpipe. This particular one has a one inch standpipe.

IMG_20111201_200548.jpg
The cover pipe. This fits over the standpipe it is made from 2 inch pipe. I have already cut the bottom to allow water to flow up to the top of the standpipe from the bottom. The top is capped. When the water gets to the top of the standpipe it begins to flow over and drain into the tank, shortly thereafter it creates a siphon as no air can be introduced to the system to break it. the siphon continues until reaching the drilled holes near the base where air then enters and break the siphon allowing for the process to begin all over again.

This is an amazing filter system and provides not only great water for your fish, it produces food for you and nifty treats for your fish.

Below are two videos I made to help illustrate the concept. this particular build was simply a prototype for the actual hood version I am building for this aquarium. I will be using a geyser lift instead of a water pump or powerhead. I will make an article on that as well. Good luck and happy fishkeeping/farming.

PS please don't mind the fact that I sound like Forrest Gumps Cousin in the videos. My wife cracks up each time she hears me say rocks and drain in the first video.

Part 1
[video=youtube;MlfdhXE9FSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlfdhXE9FSU[/video]

Part 2
[video=youtube;wNs1FE0QwZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNs1FE0QwZE[/video]

IMG_20111201_195752.jpg

IMG_20111201_200530.jpg

IMG_20111201_200548.jpg

IMG_20111201_200620.jpg

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Not certain what you mean by king of worms.. The article states that most people use redworms. They are a composting worm and work well as fish food.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Wont the worms drown?
Actually no. Worms take in air through their skin, not lungs. Thus they can draw dissolved oxygen from the water as well as from the air when the drain phase has occured. Many people find worms living in their filters (if they use filters) quite happily. The worms will grow and multiply, trust me. However, do not add worms until your setup is well established as the worms need food from decaying matter to live. Some people use composted fertilizer teas to feed the grow bed and worms if they do not have enough fish waste to handle the worm/plant load.

You may have to adjust your ph up a little bit now and then because decaying matter neturally lowers ph. But, you should never have to perform water changes as it will actually hurt the system, remember plants need fish poo to grow in this setup. Some people use nails to add iron to their setup if they notice an iron deficiency. Good news here as well since some sources say that worms actually help with this because they have some sort of power in their gut to take iron and convert it to chelated iron which is what plants use.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Excellent article, as always. I really did miss you posting on this site!

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Thank you. I am glad to be back. Since this article already has the basics put in it and it has my prototype as well I think I am just going to continue to post the rest of the build here.

So, step one is to build the framework of the hood to include a spot for my 4 foot lights, an access panel to the tank, ventillation, and the grow box. biggest issue to overcome is access to the tank itself since the grow box really shouldn't be tipped. Does anybody have suggestions for a lift possibly or other ideas for access to the tank? I am hoping to get the full footprint of the tank for the grow box meaning it would be 2' x 4'. Maybe I can make it slide like drawers and just have the lines for the pipes removable since they don't need to be water tight or glued.

Ideas?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I think that is going to be a tough but interesting project to incorporate the 2' x 4' grow box and 4' lighting for the tank. I am assuming the tank top is also 2' x 4', correct?
Are you planning on doing an enclosed canopy or will the grow box be open to atmosphere? How about a good pic of the top of the tank? How far from the wall is/will the tank located?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
The top of the tank is 2x4. It's your basic 100 gall dir using 1 sheet of plywood. 24x24x48 The light fixture will be enclosed but the grow bed with be open air. I think i may have to draw my idea in paint or something to give everyone an idea of what i am talking about.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
very cool thread! great info. never heard of using worms in an aquaponics system! your setup seems very similar to one of the system we had in our aquaponics/aquaculture lab in high school. makes me want to do something like it again! what kind of plants do plan on putting in the grow bed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store