Needlenose gar

Konrade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
kansas
Today I went into petsmart and spotted a needlenose gar. I think they are awesome, an I am thinking about getting a couple when I get my bigger tank. Can anyone give me advice on them? PH, hardiness, etc.. Also what iare the tank requirements? aNY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

amatheum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
a ph between 7.0 and 8.0 and a temp of 23 ºC, you're gonna need a biggish tank for them (buy 2!) about 70 Gallons would be lovely for them.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If the needlenose you are talking about is the Xenetodon cancilla it will reach about 12" and they are more comfortable in small groups, I am leery of keeping a pair of any fish so plan on at least three. Ph should be 7.0 and water hardness about 8 at around 78-80 degrees f. A 75-100g tank would be great. They use mainly the top few inches of water so a few deep bodied fish like siver dollars and a couple of the smaller plecos would work in the same tank. They are not easy to get to take anything that isn't moving but a mix of gambusia and crickets should keep them happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store