High Ammonia levels

cincity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
jersey
I have a 240g with 5 peacock bass all under 6in and two rays around 5in. The tank has been cycled for around 8 months my nitrates raise a little and nitrites are always 0 but the ammonia is high. i change the water twice a week 25% or so each time, i do feed them well but i would think the FX5 and the eheim 2262 would have enough Beneficial bacteria to take care of the ammonia. Would getting another FX5 help out this issue? I was thinking of even pulling out the bottom 2 foams and just filling the whole thing with biomax, any suggestions?
Thanks

gotfish1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
hey mate! i don't think getting and FX5 will help... coming from past experiences i would suggest doing half tank water changes EVERYDAY for a week...... or until ammonia drops, or you can go to your fish store or online and get some volcanic rock it generally is found in your filter media section it absorbs ammonia pretty quick and stops it from coming back!! never use ammolock! it only locks up ammonia but it dosnt get rid of it..... hop i helped :D

cincity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
jersey
the FX has the 3 foam rings and each tray is filled with biomix biorings, the Eheim is 3/4 biorings rest Fluval Ammonia Remover balls and the green filter pad, I gravel vac once a month

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Nitrifying bacteria work best with sufficient dissolved oxygen and in certain pH and temperature ranges. They also need sufficient alkalinity and some other micronutrients.

If you have soft water or other issues, the bacteria may not be able to do their job despite not overfeeding and sufficient filtration and water changes.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Cicho

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Have you tested the water out of your tap for ammonia? You might want to make sure it's not your source.

If it were my tank:
Stop feeding for a few days then feed at 1/2 the rate you were before.
Complete a very thorough gravel vac.
50% water change 2-3 days in a row, then every other day for about a week or until
Increased aeration

ShadowCrash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2015
Sydney, NSW
Sorry to re-open this thread, but I'm a new member and don't know if this is ok. We're having the same problem, now we've had a tank for quite a few years 5+ years but it's more a hobby and we've never had problems with our tank, but we started seeing pimple-like things on some of our fishes fins, so we asked the local fish store what they were, we were provided medication for bacteria, and was told to remove the carbon and medicate the fishes, we did this along with WC.

We even purchased a smaller 2 ft tank to use as a hospital tank for the fishes that were bad. Hubby was then given 2 small red terrors which we put in the smaller tanks, but one of the red terrors died and the 2nd one is in a bad way, it has a long stringy poop, eventhough we haven't fed him for days, and after reading several threads and researching we realised that it was ammonia poisoning, now we were doing 50% water changes for nearly 5 days before our ammonia level for our 2ft got better, it's now better but still not 0, it's quite high at 4.0 but a substantial improvement to the 8.0 it was originally.

Anyhow, we decided to also test the ammonia levels for our 8ft tank although the fishes weren't showing signs of ammonia poisoning and found that our 8ft tank was just as bad 8.0, we've been doing daily 40% WC, using Stress Coat for de-chlorinating the water, and we've vacuumed all gravel, have not fed them and have vacuumed the tank and removed ALL ornaments, but the ammonia levels is still not getting better.

We are currently only adding aquarium salt and the parasite medication, apart from that nothing else is going into the tank apart from new water, does anyone know how we can lower the ammonia faster as it's just not decreasing :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store