questions about Datnoid

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
i am setting up my tank http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?444364-Filtration-for-my-500 and i am getting ready to stock it. i read a little about Dats and i found these online http://www.azgardens.com/p-1756-datnoids-gold-tiger-or-siamese-tiger-fish.aspx.
1- is that a good price and has anybody used this vendor before? how is their livestock and shipping?
2- my LFS said that you have to feed live fish only to Dats, is that right? from what i've read here, he is wrong. are they easy to transition to pellets or what food would you suggest?
3- are they good fish to go with Pleco's, Arowana, Bichirs, another SA chiclid like Black Belt or maybe Jaguar?

thanks for your help :), and happy NewYear!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never heard of these people before but they seem to have pulled off the impossible....BREEDING THEIR OWN DATS ON THEIR FARM....in Arizona.Then they go on to say that they still get dats from other sources..Hmm.If the fish that you order from them looks like the one that is pictured on their site then the price is not bad but I doubt the one that you receive will look like that one.As for your local store,they are wrong about feeding your dats but they can be stuborn when it comes to training them onto prepared foods...Dats are usually slow growers and shy when newly acquired and would likely be outgrown by all of the possible tankmates mentioned which could lead to all kinds of problems with the others,especially the cichlids.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
To be clear,on the link it says that they breed dats at their facility and so far,no successful breeding programs are known to exist with these fish so for them to make such a claim,it kind of calls their credibility as a reputable company to do business with into question.

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
you can get datnoids onto pellets but it'll take some effort bro, it took nearly 3 months to get most of my datnoids onto pellets and after 3 months a few of them are not willing to take it...one died of starvation and one's on the verge of dying 0_0

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
so if Az Aq is a questionable choice, where can i find Dats on line? i only have Petco and one LFS to shop in and they never have any Monsters except the occasional Arowana.

if i really like the gold Dats, where could i find a 4-6" one for sale????? i have some money left over from breaking down my Reef tank that is really burning a hole in my pocket :)

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Farm raised in arizona? :ROFL:

Got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen regarding tigers.

PetZoneSanDiego

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
San Diego, California
www.PetZoneSD.com
There is no way they are farm raised. We've been getting batches of Datnoids in our store for years and they are ALWAYS imported in from wild caught sources, no matter the size.
If you're interested, I think we might have one or two Indo Datnoids left in stock, will have to double check for you when I get to the store in the next hour or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store