Fish room/Business progression thread

Newbie Breeder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
NEW YORK
So, I'm bored so I figured I would make a thread and at least one person would be interested. Well first of all I'm 14 years old. I talked to my dad and he's giving me a 9 foot long by 5 Foot wide by 8 foot tall room that I can use as a fish room. Right now in the room is a load of crap and giant filing cabinets, that will be moved out within 2 weeks. I currently have three tanks a 55gal,10 gal, and a 5.5 gal that I will be using to start up a small fish business. I'm going to put another $100-$150 to get some shelves for the room and stock the tanks with some fish. After the initially money I put into it i will use the profit yielded by the sale of the fish fry to reinvest back into the business and hopefully expand. I want to stock these tanks with the following:
55 gal- Planted Fancy Guppy tank
10 gal- Taiwan Fire Shrimp(Already ordered)
5.5gal- Not sure,thinking least killies tank?

Let me know on your opinion on the stocking.

I know there will be that one person that is going to say "You can't make any money doing this". Let me just say I have a business plan for this and i'm not just randomly picking out fish, I'm doing a lot of research on care,price, and other things of the like. I have run previous businesses and am currently running one that have made me a decent amount of money. I do know a lot about fish, I know more about fish themselves than tanks. I will keep you guys posted, and any and all questions,comments, and criticisms are welcome.

Here we go:)

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
Guppies will breed like crazy, so hopefully you can sell them quick to get some more tank to breed a larger selection of fish

Newbie Breeder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
NEW YORK
Here are a few reasons i went with guppies:
1)Cheap so small investment
2)Can sell them
3)Easy to breed
I would have done a pair/group/trio of either cichlids or pleco's but they are expensive, I don't have the time to wait for them to pair up, if anybody has a proven group or pair of cichlids or pleco's for a reasonable price I would possibly be interested.

Newbie Breeder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
NEW YORK
The only thing about convicts is that they have like no value and they are hard to give away for free. I do however have a really nice Juvi Con in there now with really nice blue showing on the fins... He is very durable.

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
Here are a few reasons i went with guppies:
1)Cheap so small investment
2)Can sell them
3)Easy to breed
I would have done a pair/group/trio of either cichlids or pleco's but they are expensive, I don't have the time to wait for them to pair up, if anybody has a proven group or pair of cichlids or pleco's for a reasonable price I would possibly be interested.
lol guppies would sell 12 babies for 25cents to a lfs , my lfs sell 12 guppy fry for 75cents and large pairs for $3 , bro there is no value in guppys

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Not sure how well the Fire Reds will work for you, the reason being from what i've heard from all the shops in Hong Kong i've talked to, they breeders don't sell Fire Red Shrimp Females to LFS' or outsiders so it may turn out to be impossible for you to breed (IF that is the case)... which in all honesty seems to make sense since in all the time i've seen fire reds for sale over here (which is at least 2-3 years+ now), i've never seen one that was pregnant...

And its not like the shops are selling pregnant shrimp either, since i've seen King Kongs, CRS, Cherries etc all berried which were for sale, but not once seen a Fire Red which was holding a clutch... even when i kept a tank full of them never had one that berried in over a year...

Either way, hopefully you'll get a mix of both male and female to help you kick start your colony and business...

benmcfadden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
Hull - UK
I suppose you gotta start of small and work your way up.

I currently breed

- Jags
- Flowerhorns
- Midas
- Convicts (without trying)

You could always get money for xmas / birthday and try to get breeding stuff like Green Terror / JD ect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store