black diamond

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
On the aquarium plant forum I belong to there has been a lot of talk of black diamond substrate. It essenitally looks like a nice black sand that is really cheap. Apparently it is processed coal slag. it is safe for the aquarium and that is not my question. I want to know if anyone here has used it with polypterus and if it is too rough for them? thanks

cichlids4me

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Pageland, SC
I have it in with my 3 young senegals and have had no issues. Actually I have put it in all my tanks. By chance was it the planted tank where you heard this because I am member there also and that is why I gave it a try.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
yup it was plantedtank that i was reading it on. I plan on giving it a try

tatsuya11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2011
Philippines
On the aquarium plant forum I belong to there has been a lot of talk of black diamond substrate. It essenitally looks like a nice black sand that is really cheap. Apparently it is processed coal slag. it is safe for the aquarium and that is not my question. I want to know if anyone here has used it with polypterus and if it is too rough for them? thanks
can you post close-up pics of that substrate..

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
no since i haven't bought it yet. It looks like black sand.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Polys have been known to die from internal damages from swallowing those substrate. I would advice you go for fine black quartz sand instead

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store