Pump and benefits of increasing flow rate?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Hi,

Currently my 8x2x2.5 ft tank has a sump filter, and I'm using a return pump Rio 2100 rated at 692 GPH. Will there be any benefit if I upgrade my pump into
a 1090 GPH or a 1290 GPH one? My sump is a 4x1.5x1.5 ft sump filled with matala mats scrubbis, ceramic rings.

thanks.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
It depends on how you are wanting to use your sump. Some use them for more biological filteration and the slower flow is actually more beneficial to bacteria growth than the incresed speed. Now on the opposite side of that is the increased speed of turnover increases the mechanical filteration because of the amount of times the water is going thru your sump and hitting the filter media. You have to decide which you want, some reach a happy medium and some like me set up filters for different uses...my sump for biological, canister for mechanical and hang on back with both.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks :) I guess i want my sump more for Bio filtration :)
maybe i'll add a wavemaker to blow the dirt into the sump.
So slower flow better for bio?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
mmmm how about a flow rate of 840 GPH Water Pump for a 350 gallon tank.
I'm using my sump more for Bio filtration, and will just remove the waste during water change?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
up up :)
having thoughst again on flow rate :)
A large sump /tank can be run at 2-3 turnover/hour for bio. I don't have links but I've seen people post their turnovers for really huge tanks and they said they ran fine at low rates below 3. Now if you are going to be over stocked with carnivores, small filter, poor circulation and feeding huge meals, you may find low turnovers are an issue.

Low turnovers aren't necessarily great for mechanical, but for bio you get good contact time and if you have adequate bio material it will be fine.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Another question for op.
Is your sump gravity fed. If so, how big of feed line r u using? Some gravity fed systems don't flow at a high rate
I'm only using a 3/4 PVC and it only flows at about 300 gals per hour.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store