Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Hey guys,
so will be picking up a spotted gar this coming tuesday!
Just wondering it will be around 12 cm or so (ive been told) will it be best to immediately pellet train it? (massivore) or go with stuff like prawn? morio?

He will be temp housed with a pike characin, flagtail and a bichir! the pike characin (boullengerella lateristriga -SP-) love pellets so maybe that will make him attack the pellets too?

Thanks,
Swarsh

TheAlmostPanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Los Angeles or Bombay
Make sure the Gar has many hiding spots for the first week or so while it aclimates..... And I would wait a while before getting it off feeders

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Never fed feeders and don't think I will feed feeders :p
Its either morio/crickets or go straight for prawn/pellet...
Just thinking whether it would be easier since the temp tank all mash pellets so...

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
Before paying money for a spotted gar, make sure you find out the place where it was collected because according to many people on here with a lot of knowledge on gars true spotted gars are really not in the hobby and what you will be getting is 99.9% a Florida Gar which is much cheaper and not nearly as rare. My LFS pulled the same crap on me recently which cost me an extra 110 dollars in fish.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
yeah I got told its the "Lepisosteus oculatus - spotted gar".
But at the end of the day I will be paying around £20~ so whether it is the florida or spotted I'm not too fussed! either works for me :)

arowanaryan

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
North Attleboro
yeah I got told its the "Lepisosteus oculatus - spotted gar".
But at the end of the day I will be paying around £20~ so whether it is the florida or spotted I'm not too fussed! either works for me :)
Yeah unfortunately its most likely not.... for that price it doesn't really matter plus I love my Florida gars they are so personable and will even eat right out of my hand.. which you may not want to do but I'm a little nuts so its all good lol. When they are that small though they should have constant access to live feeders.... its good for them to fatten up when young.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
hmmm, I guess I'll see how it goes!
Im hoping to pump it to around 10 inch as fast as possible!
so massivores seems to be the way to go for me =)

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Based on your location, it's a Florida gar in all likelihood. At that size, you're going to want to keep it on live food; wait until it hits about 20-26 cm before trying to switch it to pellets. As for your tankmates, the flagtail is a bad idea because it may suck on the gar's slime coat, and the pike characin will become gar food eventually because of the adult size difference.

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Yeah the tank mates shouldn't be problem ! Flag is really small too, just a grow out tank! Once he hits a slightly bigger size I'll be moving him into a bigger tank !
Just that feeders aren't the thing I'll normally feed so i guess the closest thing is cricket, morio and night crawlers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store