my savannah monitor taking down a few pinky mice ..

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
You really shouldn't feed a Savannah rodents, they're insectivores unlike most monitors. You should give him a proper substrate he can burrow in as well...

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
You really shouldn't feed a Savannah rodents, they're insectivores unlike most monitors. You should give him a proper substrate he can burrow in as well...
He is RIGHT! You need to get him deep substrate,high basking temps & humidity,Insects,scorpions, with out these thing we are saying he will not survive long.So please we are not picking on you,we are trying to help your lizard!Here's a great sitehttp://savannahmonitor.org/ with a great sucessful knowledge for keeping these lil buggers!

ThaGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2005
New Richland Minnesota
well the planks are a second story i built in his cage to get him closer to his heat source.. his tank until i get his permanent home built is tall so i wanted him to get closer to the heat uvb sorceres..he will get the deep substrate in his other home

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
well the planks are a second story i built in his cage to get him closer to his heat source.. his tank until i get his permanent home built is tall so i wanted him to get closer to the heat uvb sorceres..he will get the deep substrate in his other home
ok... that almost solves two problems, but what about the pinkies (dubia roaches are much healthier)

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Any inverts are much healthier for savs than any rodents, particularly the little sacks of fat called pinkies..

ThaGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2005
New Richland Minnesota
I have a colonie of dubias that I have tryed feeding him many differnt sizes from but the only thing he will would eat was small crickets .. I tryed the pinky after a friend recommended trying it . and he took it right away .. .I dont plan on feeding him more of them but it did seem to stimulate his apatite .. he is now taking all kinds of things from roaches , super worms , crickets and I even gave him some grass hoppers that my local store had .. I am very happy that he is eating every day now with lots of gusto for life..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store