turn heater off when cleaning your aquarium.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
Mine burned the suction cups on it off. It broke sevrel important parts. It is it to like 72 degrees and it is a bout 80 degrees I had to buy a other heater. I was going to buy a cheapo heater. but my dad said that it could hurt my fish. He said that it would break easily too. So i borrowed some money and bought a 300 Wat fluvel heater. the tank is 75 gallons. no fish got hurt. just my heater.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Having learned the hard way many years ago, I now unplug heaters and allow them to sit in place a whle before removing them from a tank. If in a hurry i have a container that will not be affected by heat to place one in. I have melted a few things by laying a still hot heater on them.
When changing water I do not lower the water level lower than an inch or so above the heater element. I also do not stick a hot heater back into a tank. I have several heaters in a box that I put back into service from time to time I test them by plugging them in and running the thermostat up untill they come on to see if they still work. They will stay hot for a while after being unplugged so I usually have a glass bowl to put the in untill cold. I always put a cold heater into a tank.

Learning the hard way is likely going to be a part of the hobby. Good luck.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
i always unplug my heaters for waterchanges, bc i do at least 50 percent at a time

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
i do 2 30 percent changes in my tanks weekly. maybe I should unplug my heaters like an hour before i clean my tanks.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
i forgot to unplug my heater once. sounded like a gunshot when it exploded

I snapped one clean in half once when I had my Senegal. Luckily it was unplugged, but it spewed silver liquid and tiny metal marbles everywhere. I scooped her into a bucket and changed allllll the water.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
I snapped one clean in half once when I had my Senegal. Luckily it was unplugged, but it spewed silver liquid and tiny metal marbles everywhere. I scooped her into a bucket and changed allllll the water.
I hate in when fish supplies break. How did it break when it was not on? did your sython bump into it?

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I had one I left on once, Started filling the tank and heard BAM! Damn things explode when their hot and get hit with cold water.

Mike

PS: Now all my heaters are plugged into one surge arrest. Just flick a switch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store